turbo hits fender

I try to mount a 200TDI engine complete with coupling and gearboxes from a disco I into a 1985 model 90" but the turbo hits the fender. I do not have a parts manual from the later defenders. Could part #107046 (ERR678) the manifold from a later defender with a 200TDI engine be the answer to my problem ? Did I get the part number right ?

Thanks

Jerry

Reply to
Cobra1736

The problem that you are having is that the discovery Tdi has a low mounted turbo whereas the defender one is mounted high up. I guess a different manifold would work but if my memory serves me right the alternator is up high aswell where as it is low down on the defender. Can the wing (fender) be er, modified?

Dave

Reply to
edeowner

In message , Cobra1736 writes

NO

Swapping the manifolds will not solve your problem 100%. The front cover on a discovery engine prevents the air intake from lining up.

The easiest option but not the best is to cut the footwell (Fender) to make the engine fit.

You will also find that the gear lever will be in the wrong place is using a Disco 1 gearbox.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Marc,

If a modification of the footwell if not the best solution to the problem what do you advice.

The 200TDI gear lever is sitting approx 110 mm backwards but the original lever is bent backwards the result is that the gear knob is sitting in the same place. Do i get away with this set up.

Jerry

Reply to
Cobra1736

In message , Cobra1736 writes

The best solution is to use the front cover and ancillarys of a 200tdi Defender engine, but they are not as easy to get hold of as the disco ones.

The gear lever issue is up you. Does it clear the seat box OK ? As you have probably noticed the gear lever and transfer lever swap positions between Defender and Disco. And it is not a simple case of swapping the top covers over as the internals are different.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Marc,

Thanks for the info i will a second look at is.

Jerry

Reply to
Cobra1736