Tyre markings - what does 7.50 mean?

And some manufacturers use a mix of all three systems just to keep everyone on their toes!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 04 Jan 2007 17:28:31 +0000, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

yeah, I recall investigating Avon tyres for the "project", and finding one that states it has triple markings, although the 3 sets of figures given aren't in fact exactly the same so what it really means is "we only make this one tyre, it's close enough to all these sizes".

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

All this turns out to be so complicated, one can do PhD on the subject on tyre markings :-)

I guess the best thing would be is to go to the local tyre place, show them the wheel and ask to suggest the replacement.

Thank you

Lord Aust> On or around Thu, 04 Jan 2007 17:28:31 +0000, beamendsltd

Reply to
Lev

On or around 4 Jan 2007 11:54:33 -0800, "Lev" enlightened us thusly:

what's it for?

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

Or just tell them you want a 7.50R16, my local quick-fit type place phoned around and presented me with about 3 options within minutes. They're not as rare as you might think, they had one of the electricity board's vehicles in for a set at the same time!. Greg

Reply to
Greg

On or around 5 Jan 2007 00:19:28 -0800, "Greg" enlightened us thusly:

well, Avon Rangemasters are still current, definitely. I think Goodyear still do one as well, and if you want aggressive, you can still I think get general SAG which is a bit like the old Firestone SAT, mind you, it's more like a tractor tyre.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

On or around 5 Jan 2007 01:00:01 -0800, "Lev" enlightened us thusly:

If you just need one tyre (or two) then you'll need to match the 7.50R16s you've still got. If they're all up for replacement, I'd go with 235/85R16 as there's a lot more choice.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

Tread width!

Reply to
Oily

No, neither rim width nor tread width - it is the nominal tyre section in inches and with an aspect ratio of one. Both rim width and tread width will be less - and will vary with the rim and the tyre manufacturer. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Sat, 06 Jan 2007 08:30:43 +1100, JD enlightened us thusly:

in the case of tread width, I've yet to see a tyre with a tread as wide as the nominal section.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

No, nominal section varies with different makes, 7.50" is the tread width or footprint.

Martin

Reply to
Oily