V8 MOD

Hello all I have been looking on the witham site at the sale by tender lots and ex Mod V8's seem to be quite cheap(almost too cheap), my question is are these a good buy if you convert them to run Lpg, any ideas on the cost to convert, I'm looking at buying my first Landy, any advice would be appreciated regards Barry

Reply to
Barry

Mine was bought at auction in 1997 (IIRC) and is probably worth about what was paid then.

Probably but what chance do you get to inspect at tender? LPG will become dearer in comparison with petrol soon.

I actually wonder if a better bet would be to fit a 200/300/td5 into a na ex mod LR.

Around GBP600 if you do it yourself. The 90s are a bit limiting on locating the tank, the 110 can take two (mind more expensive) 25l actual capacity tanks without compromising internal space or load bed, a third is possible if you move the battery into the front. My two give me 250km range plus petrol tank, I am not sure what cylinders could replace this. I bottomed mine out last week (following a cat motor scraper) and the external tank was in the mud but caused no obvious problems.

See a psychiatrist :-)

AJH

Reply to
sylva

On or around Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:59:19 -0000, "Barry" enlightened us thusly:

the V8 goes nicely on LPG. Later RR versions with 9.35:1 compression go better than low-compression ones, but they're all OK.

Conversion with DIY kit if you're competent to do it, for a new kit you're talking anything from about 350 up to getting on for a grand, depending on the quality of kit and the number of tanks. Professional fitment probably about 800-1500, the latter for a multi-tank setup.

the engine doesn't need closed loop, but if you're apt to do a lot of mileage, then it saves a bit of fuel - costs more to install though.

and I should mention that the herr reichschancellor von Braun is apt to up the duty on LPG soonish, and we await seeing how much by, and how quickly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've got an ex MoD 110V8 converted to gas. Had it professionally done, cost me 1250quid, and I've had that back almost twice over now in reduced fuel costs. The engine in mine is now quite tired. I get about

12mpg on LPG. I'm in the process of putting together a less tired engine which I'm hoping will give me another mpg or two (plus lots more power...).

Overall the landy was a good buy, as the prices are low as people are scared about the something-teen mpg you get on petrol out of them.

Things to check are the chassis and bulkhead for rust, as with any Landy. Also look at the mileage cos if it's approaching 100k miles then unless you can be sure it's had a new cam+followers then it'll need one soon (this is the reason mine is tired - it had 142000km/88000miles on it when I got it, and it's up to 177000km/110000miles now).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett