V8 Rotor Arm - welded on shaft - pants!

Help!

I am trying to get the rotor arm off a Lucas dizzy for an EFi V8 (you know the sort - give it a good tug and you pull the dizzy to bits). This one is competely welded to the dizzy shaft and removal is impossible withit in situ. I have taken it out and, even then, all I have succeeded in doing is cracking the flash cover under the arm.

Any suggestions? My thoughts are to carefully cut the old arm off - would it be possible to crack it off as it is bakelite (or some modern version thereof).

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

If you have the dizzy off, squeeze the rotor in a vice, it should crumble nicely.

Reply to
SimonJ

Thanks Simon - I'll do that later this week (the dizzy is back on the car as it is p*ssing down with rain here and I have no garage *sob*)

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Had a similar problem with a lambretta scooter once, the flywheel magneto was actually welded on.

Reply to
Larry

You may be able to acheive the same affect in situ with a decent set of vice grips

Reply to
SimonJ

Or a G clamp :-))

No - been for a short drive in the beast and it's still chugging - however I'm pretty sure now that it is not the electrics (see my other post on head gaskets) but a new rotor arm won't break the bank in any case.

BIG clue is when I pulled number two spark plug out of the head and it's wet - water wet, not fuel wet - guess that explains the sudden steaming from the exhaust too :-((

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

If you do decide to do this after all, is there room to get a bin liner (or part of one) over the shaft below, held in place with an elastic band? It might stop bits going where they shouldn't...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Larry writes

That wouldn't have crumbled under the ministrations of Mole grips sadly :(

What did you do?

Regards,

Simonm. (your quotings still look like part of your sig, BTW)

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I've used a 'Dremel' type thing to cut slots in the rotor arm (not the shaft!) and then used molies or similar to gently break it off.

Horse

Reply to
horse