very old RR 4 speed box into 110

Have a problem. Got a 1975 RR engine and gearbox but the box won't fit my 1984 110 according to the mechanic. It's the same box and transfer (albeit with different output gearing) but the problem is the handbrake. Even by swapping my linkage over to the replacement box it has been found that the older box has a smaller handbrake drum which is a push linkage rather than a pull, according to my mechanic, as well as being in the wrong place with regards to the 110 handbrake location in the cab. Currently, he can see no way to fit the handbrake so I'm left with a bill for him removing and now refitting my original box to the new engine.

Does anyone know of a solution to this dilemma please?

Reply to
danny

It isn't rocket science and any half decent mechanic can knock together a linkage that will work. ISTR the handbrake operating in a strange way when we put one in a Lightweight a few years ago. The solution was to place the handbrake lever between the front seats (no centre seat) and use a cable to operate it. To turn a pull into a push just needs a lever connecting to the handbrake actuator that has a central pivot. The handbrake cable then connects to the lever on teh other side of the pivot point.

On the lightweight it took us about an hour to make the lever and get the brake working. We used a Range Rover handbrake lever.

If yout mechanic still claims it can't be done I suggest you get him to finish the job without a hand brake then you can take it to someone more competent.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

On or around Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:46:08 +0000, danny enlightened us thusly:

can you not swap the handbrake drum etc over from one t-box to the other?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My mechanic suggested that but said that would involve removing the end of the transfer box which would mess up the preload somewhere?

Reply to
danny

On or around Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:57:41 +0000, danny enlightened us thusly:

dunno, but I doubt it. The drum is on the rear output shaft, the backplate bolts onto the casing somehow. I've never actually pulled one off. I expect the book has something to say on the subject.

Putting a RR autobox into a 110 had interesting results for the handbrake - both are cable operated but the old 110 LT77/LT230 had a completely different mechanism. Even getting the parts for the ZF/Borg Warner setup didn't result in being able to connect the cable meaningfully, so I ended up inventing a gadget to do it involving several lumps of metal.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Your mechanic is right.

There is a shim which determines the bearing load on the centre diff. I don't see that this could be replaced easily with the box in situ, although it might be thee most satisfactory approach overall.

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds

On or around 25 Nov 2004 06:35:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Nicknelsonleeds) enlightened us thusly:

Just had a glance through the HBOL which doesn't make any mention of that in removing/refitting the handbrake. You do have to get the driving flange off the end of the shaft to get the brake backplate off, but it looks straightforward enough. It's possible that the HBOL is talking bollox, but I reckon that it should be possible to swap the brakes over from one box to the other without difficulty.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sorry, I thought tthe suggestion was to swap the entire back half of the transfer box.

Simply replacing brake components wouldn't cause this problem

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds

On or around 26 Nov 2004 06:34:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Nicknelsonleeds) enlightened us thusly:

well, it *sounds* like that's all that is needed. Maybe the larger brake won't fit the early box, though, without swapping ends. But unless I'd tried, I wouldn't know for sure. and modifying the brakeplate would be easier than most mods.

Reply to
Austin Shackles