Vibration from rear end of Defender. Any ideas

Got a problem with the defender. Usually I can change from low ratio to high at a few miles an hour with no problems. However I heard a bang from the rear end on the weekend whilst doing this and now at about 5 miles and hours (not wanting now to drive it quicker) get a horrible low frequency vibration from the rear end. (the frequency is about 3-4 per wheel revolution) I had a spare hour yesterday and took the half-shafts out to check that ('cos it easy) and could not find an issue. It vibrates regardless of whether it's in gear or not or even high or low ratio. Me thinks it's a rear diff problem.

Ideas would be appreciated.

Also is there anywhere near Gloucester that anyone would recomend that can do Land rover servicing and repairs, apart from main dealers as I do not have the budget for them.

I have looked on yell.co.uk and have found Fayreoaks 4x4 in Cheltenham, Cotswold 4x4 centre in Stroud, Falcon 4x4 in Newent and Greyhill 4x4 in Tirley. Anyone used these? Good bad???

Cheers

Barry

Reply to
Barry Hart

I think you are right - it sounds like a damaged diff, possibly a chipped tooth - I don't see how changing ratios could cause this unless you made a real mess of the change (very abrupt change of shaft speed/load), so it may have been coincidence - or the jerk shook loose a foreign object that then went through the mesh of the crown wheel and pinion. JD

Reply to
JD