VM head bolts

OK, anyone got a definitive answer?

2.4 VM turbodiesel, the bloke about to do work on my mate's one says that they use stretch bolts and thus the heads don't need re-torquing after a run-in period.

true or false?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

True(ish)... here's the info (you'll love this....):

Tightening Sequence

11 11 11 11 1 9 3 7 5 10 2 8 4 6 11 11 11 11 Tighten 1 to 10 in sequence to 29 lb/ft Tighten again in sequence by 40 to 45 degrees Repeat again in sequence by 40 to 45 degrees

Tighten smaller bolts (11) to 58 lb/ft in criss-cross sequence.

Fit all the gubbins.

Fill fluids

Run the engine for 15 mins or at least 5 miles. Allow to cool for at least three hours.

Tighten bolts 1-10 in sequence through 15 to 20 degrees Tighten bolts 11 to 65 lb/tf in sequence.

Dire warning - if one head gasket has been changed, all

4 must be.

I wonder how often the above gets done properly, and why the VM has a reputation for blowing head gaskets......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Me too. You would think it is a great and strong design because of the 4 seperate parts but then again it is Italian.... Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

I was referring to fitting the heads properly. VM are very big in marine engines, and used by Jeep. Very good engines *if* maintained properly.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Maybe I prefer engines that keep going without proper maintenance. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Landrover factory manual says always use new bolts.

Hmmmm factory book says 4 to 8 lbf.ft, then 22lbf.ft, then 50 degrees then another 50 degrees. Sequence as per above.

Book says minimum 20 minutes then allow to go fully cold.

Book says further 30 degrees.

Book says slacken and check-tighten to 65lbf.ft.

I'd go along with that, but book also mentions the following:-

  1. Liners should protrude from block by 0.01-0.06mm
  2. Select correct gasket thickness, piston clearance to head should be
0.85-0.94mm. Piston Protrusion at TDC plus clearance = compressed gasket thickness. Part no's:- 1.42mm, 22030460B 1.52mm, 22032043A 1.62mm, 22030461B Whatever cylinder requires the thickest gasket, that is the thickness that is fitted to all cylinders.
  1. Use only a hex socket, not bi-hex.

Book also goes on to give the following info for tappet clearances:-

open adjust

1 7 8 2 5 3 4 6 7 1 2 8 3 5 6 4

Not "rule of 9", unusual that.

Also says they can be done as follows:- With no.1 rocking, adjust 4 and vice-versa, repeat for 2 and 3. Have fun. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Different firing order to standard 1-3-4-2 I suspect. Could be 1-3-2-4 or something?

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

The document I have is a suplement to the factory book, issued later.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yeah bless them, I bought the lot, the supplements are actually bigger than the origional manual.

Post'it notes galore...much simpler to find than a large oily thumb print

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Thats not much of a recommendation really. The newest Grand Cherokee Jeeps have the excellent 2.7 5 cyl Merc CRD. Only decent bit of the car really.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

False. Others have described the torqueing sequence, which I have not had the patience to check, but they omitted to mention that the six centre head bolts of the set need retorqueing by a set angle at the first 12,000 miles after the job. Why only the six centre bolts on this individual head unit and why wait 12,000 miles I here you ask? I've no idea, any more than I know the answer to the World, the Universe and Everything.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

whatever engine that is in the m class has a reputation of self destructing

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

On or around Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:11:03 -0000, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

'specially as they're separate heads. although, thinking about it, the in-between ones have to hold both heads, don't they, or there'd be more of 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:42:26 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

I'll pass it on. 's not me that's doing this one...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Only the early petrol ones have a problem with their harmonic balancer, which is part of the crank belt pulley assembly. AFAIK the diesels are fairly reliable.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The centre six bolts impinge on all four heads as you say.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Allow me......

:o)

Did I mention I like taking photos?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

No, but...me too. See sig. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets