Washed defender key fob

Hi chaps my wife manged to put our only defender fob through the washing machine yesterday, I have tried changing the battery to no avial. So I am going to be in need of a new fob, Anyone any got any suggestions about where to get a new one from (other than the obvious) and how do you reprogram the thing.

TIA

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie Morgan

Had same thing happen with our Disco fob ... left it in the airing cupboard for three days to dry out, and worked no problem. If you don't have an airing cupboard, leave it in paper towel on a barely warm radiator ... takes all the moisture away 'gently'.

Reply to
Paul - xxx mobile

or even (for those in old tech households) plonk it on top of a big f/o CRT

those wee bags of silica-gel can also finally find a proper job

Reply to
William Tasso

Unlike the lady who works at our place who promptly sprinkled the contents on top of a Cup cake that it was packaged with and ate it.... I jest not.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

She probably had too much to drink and had to drive home. :-)

Reply to
Oily

Why would a cup cake have silica gel packaged with it? Cake is by it's nature moist, if it ain't it's stale...

A "cup cake" to me is a small cake in a paper case possibly with icing on top. Slice the top off one divide the slice in half and reattach in a V formation with a blob of butter, butter icing or cream for a "butterfly cake".

As for the fob open it up as much as you can, remove battery, dry any visible moisture and leave a warm place for 48 to 72 hours and see if it comes back to life.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Obviously the intelligence standard needed to get a job at you place has reduced.

Reply to
EMB

In article , Eddie Morgan writes

IIRC, it's similar to the VAG ones. If so:

This might not work if it was a boil wash originally, but it might (and you've got nothing to lose):

Take the battery out again. Leave the two bits apart. Check the bits you can see are free of corrosion. Wash again(!) in handwarm water, without the battery, to which you have added a tiny amount of liquid soap (handwash variety).

Dry the pieces gently with a clean tea-towel or hanky (don't use kitchen paper or toilet roll), and slowly on a warm radiator or in the airing cupboard*, for at least three days, before trying again, with a new battery. If it works, lubricate the key part (not the buttons) with a little 3-in-one and wipe dry (tip: cut a match to a point with a sharp point to use as a dropper).

Why:

What's been upset is most likely the membrane key switches. They're intricate and take ages to dry properly. The second wash will get rid of any remaining deposits from the too-early replacement of a battery. The liquid soap is a mild detergent, but free from chemicals to upset the works (I use it with success on things like PC and phone keypads a lot).

I realise it's inconvenient to be without the key, but it might just do it. No promises mind.

Regards,

S.

PS: if you have access to decent amounts of silica gel, dry that in the microwave per usual, then wash the damp key fob per above, towel dry and seal gel and fob bits in an ice cream tub. Place in airing cupboard etc. This works better if you have enough gel (a goodly dessert spoonful oughta do it in this case), but remember that silica gel is REALLY poisonous.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , SpamTrapSeeSig writes

[bad form, etc.]

OK, I stand (sit) corrected:

The author says it's not the SG itself, but the doping agents that are nasty. Either way, don't mix it with food. I also forgot to say, use insulating tape or gaffer tape on the box seal.

BTW, you can pull the keytops off PC keyboards (gently!), put em in one of those zip-up nets for washing tights (nicked from the Domestic Controller), and get em really clean in the dishwasher (top shelf). The bag stops them going AWOL or melting on the heater. SM.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Thanks everyone! taken apart again, dried properly, another new battery and on the 4th push.... hey presto!!!

Thanks again people..... i thought it was going to be expensive.

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie Morgan