What is an Underride Protection Bar? new Defender

I see that one of the factory fitted options on a new Defender 90 is an "underride protection bar" but I presume it is quite different to a metal sump guard which can be added as a dealer-fit accessory. Can anybody tell me what the underride protection bar is? Is it like an anti-roll bar which cannot be removed after installation by the factory or is it for under-body protection. Presumably if it is only a "bar" it can't actually protect much? Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

Twas Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:06:23 +0100 when Chris put finger to keyboard producing:

It'll likely be that bar thing that land rover fit in front of the steering bits. I'd much rather have a proper steering guard.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Its a tube on brackets that goes in front of the drag link to prevent damage from rocks etc. Like almost all "steering guards" it does not protect the bit that gets bent most often

- the track rod.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Not like the little jockey wheel attached to the front axle of my RRC then????

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

AP> Not like the little jockey wheel attached to the front axle of my RRC AP> then????

That's your harmonic damper ;-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

It is a bar that sits in front of the steering drag link. It is very useful. I can vouch for this because mine is dented and bent to shit but *they* have never succeeded in bending or breaking any steering bits.

Huw

Reply to
Huw