What is under the bonnet

Is there any really simple quick way of seeing whether a Defender has a

200Tdi or a 300Tdi fitted? Better still, is there anything obvious to a total amateur that shows that it is a Defender rather than a replacement from a Disco that is in there?

I have this ongoing saga with the NFU where every Defender that I can afford seems require some sort of statement that the replacement engine was professionally fitted, and the person selling the current 'possible' can't be sure what engine it has. His advert has an engine that doesn't quite match the year of the vehicle.

Of course, if anyone here is looking for a good home for something like a 200Tdi 110 my real address is bill at itsound dot demon dot co dot uk

Reply to
Bill

There's an sngine serial number stamped on a flat on the offside of the engine (assuming UK - left hand side looking from the front) which will have an identifier code of some description (12J for the 2.5NAD - no idea for the rest) which will tell you what kind of engine it is.

I'm sure somebody around here will have a list of the codes.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

200tdi has air intake on the passenger side, 300tdi on the drivers side.
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

ISTR that the turbo is placed higher on Defender engines than in the Discovery. 300TDi has one serpentine belt whilst 200TDi has lots of individual drive belts, again 'ISTR'.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

In message , Paul S. Brown writes

Thanks Paul, I've Googled and found

Engine Identification - Tdi

-------

200 Tdi engines begin 12L, with a serial number. 300 Tdi engines begin with one of the following :- 17L 18L 19L 20L 21L 22L Depending on engine & transmission type, followed by a serial number.

But what I was really hoping for was something like

"A 200 Tdi has a square wotsit on top, a 300 has a yellow one" or something else that's easy to see in the dark, rainy evening squalls.

Reply to
Bill Holt

200Tdi's have traditional V belts driving the fan, power steering etc, whereas the 300Tdi has a "serpantine" belt - an inch and a bit wide belt that looks like something from Arkwright's mill and does a grand tour of all the ancilliaries.

A 200Tdi from a Discovery in a Defender will have a custom down pipe and the trubo will stick downwards rather that upwards.

300Tdi's in Defenders and Discoverys (and RRC for that matter) are to all intents and purposes identical. The engine mountings may give a clue.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

You got that - the drive belt difference is pretty obvious even just by feel.

Reply to
EMB

200tdi
300tdi
200tdi air intake on passenger side 300tdi air intake on drivers side 300tdi has a lot more plastic on the top!
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Thanks, everyone, for all this. I have now set the seller the task of having a look and feel.

Reply to
Bill Holt

Though slightly different phraseology might be a good idea ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Hopefully it's one careful Lady owner :-) One hell of a haggle that, just shows it's a buyers market.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 01 Dec 2006 15:54:12 +0000, Mark Solesbury enlightened us thusly:

disco 300 TDi doesn't...

short answer: 200 TDi has 2 V belts driving the ancillaries on the front of the engine, 300 TDi has a flat poly-v "serpentine" going all the way round everything.

ISTR the turbo is in a different place on a defender version, higher up, I think, to clear the chassis rail.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I passed a Volvo dealer the other day, promising "free rear-seat entertainment with every new V70"....

Times are tough in motor retail!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs