What Silly Legislation Next?

A place I do a bit of voluntary work at once a week has a sort of 'in joke' sweepstake running as to what silly legislation we're going to have to deal with next.

All of the following have been mentioned by someone or another whilst giving evidence, we reckon some may make it into future legislation:

  • "Being drunk in charge of an animal" (pet dog barking)

  • "Breaking wind on public transport" (caused a fight)

  • "Wearing sunglasses indoors" (asked to leave a Post Office)

  • "Moving a wheelie bin after 10pm" (Neighbour dispute, fight)

  • "Eating a bacon sandwich in public" (You don't want to know!)

So afl'ers, what do _you_ think may make the top 10 in future?

Reply to
Mother

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:00:46 +0100, Mother scribbled the following nonsense:

yes we do want to know!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I am firmly of the opinion that breaking wind on public transport is a henoius crime that should be punished by death by stoning.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Simon's right Martyn, we DO want to know!

Anyhow, how's about :-

"Belching in a confined public place after smoking a cigarette in the open-air"?

or,

"Listening to the wrong type of music whilst driving a motor vehicle"? (Apparently "The Who"'s "Won't get fooled again" has been proven to incite breaking of speed limits)

Badger. :-)

Reply to
Badger

surely they should use a gas chamber as the method of execution...

Reply to
Tom Woods

"Failing to give in to the demands of a person in possession of a benefits cheque"

"Caught in possession of a reasonable argument"

"Failure to heed the demands of a rabid mob"

"Caught in possession of a wage packet"

"Driving with insurance"

"Failure to cowtow to an unreasonable demand from a policeman" (Sorry Lee, not had much dealings with the police other than when accused of doing something I patently didn't do)

"Being young, black and having a good job" (a friend of mine used to get pulled over on average once a day and searched)

"Failure to observe the rules of all religions at the same time"

"Failure to display appropriate barcodes on arm"

Harrumph!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That's already an offence - usually applied to horses (you can't be done for drink-driving with a horse & cart). £30.00 fine.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:00:46 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

yes we do...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:48:46 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

lock the offender in a sealed cell with a supply of baked beans.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Remembering that all of the examples I gave were seen as petty in the eyes of the Court and that we've developed the sweepstake as a bit of a laugh...

Local butcher, oldest in the area decided to also open a small sandwich outlet and became very popular for their bacon butties and hot roast pork with crackling and apple sauce. (I'm having a Pavlovian moment).

On the other side of the road is a Mosque, now being rebuilt to become the largest Mosque in the North of England. Objections were raised on the grounds that people attending the Mosque had to walk past other people in the street who eating pork products and were deeply offended.

I can't say any more as it all became too silly for words, similar in fact to the case where a pensioner was forced by her Landlord (Sheffield City Council) to remove her collection of piggy-bank ornaments from the window sill of her living room as they were causing offence to Muslim neighbours.

As I said earlier, a very odd sort of world we appear to be leaving for our children.

Reply to
Mother

Isn't just being on public transport punishment enough ! ;)

Reply to
itcosthowmuch?????

This Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It didn't get to Court in its own right (and neither would it have done IMO), but was used as 'evidence' (sic) in a related case - which was also thrown out with a stern warning that should persons concerned ever darken our bench again we'd send them down for wasting Court time.

I really do wonder about the sanity of some folk - if the broader population really knew how silly and petty some of the cases were, that were sucking up taxpayer money like a Dyson, they'd all emigrate, leaving the idiots to run the asylum.

It's no surprise, IMO, that there's such a shortage of Magistrates.

Reply to
Mother

Not whilst in your own home it isn't (yet).

Reply to
Mother

And by the same token, should I ever darken the streets of Mecca, could I complain that the Muezzins call to prayer was offensive to my Christian ears? I think not I would not keep my head for long.

Here is the ultimate irony, if this is nation is so respectful to Islam, why the hell did we join with Loony Bush in invading Iraq and invite every terrorist to take a pot shot at us thereafter.

And I wonder if with these new laws if what I have just said is not illegal ???? :(

Reply to
Larry

It is if you're on my bus.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex nearly made me spill my Shiraz on 12/04/2006 21:15 by writing:

The fact that it needs to be considered at all is the reason I avoid public transport. At least with my car I get to choose who's farts I have to inhale, and and wind down the window to avoid the worst of them.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cunningham

I've just come back from the States and two of the areas in California have just brought in a ban on smoking anywhere except in your own house, but you can only smoke there if the children aren't at home.

Personally I would like to see a ban on boring conversations in public places. Two visitors at the country park where I work spent all lunchtime in our tearooms discussing whether a cake was a cherry bakewell.

I would also like to see an offence created of 'Being religious in charge of a country' When Tony Blur has a Franciscan Friar visiting him on a regular basis, it really is time for him to step down.

It's ony a matter of time before we see Big Ben turned into a minaret and the calls of the muezzin drown out the sound of all those Knightsbidge Tractors taking the faithful to prey! (Deliberate mis-spelling)

If you want to discuss the content of this posting, you can find me at the Home for the Terminally Politically Incorrect, a new institution which escaped the notice of the press when it was created last week Cheers, John

!
Reply to
John Stokes

Don't misunderstand me, the 'issues' were not formally raised by the Muslim community or anyone claiming to represent them. In the latter case of the Granny and the piggy banks, it was actually the Council who vastly over-reacted, much to the embarrassment of the local Muslim community.

Reply to
Mother

Isn't farting compulsory on your bus - acting as an air freshner?

(to mask the pungent stench of EP90, before you get all floral with me...) :-)

Reply to
Mother