What Silly Legislation Next?

No, to mask the diesel exhaust fumes, don't get a lot of EP90 in buses.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Isn't that the problem though? Most of the time these stories we heard about are cause by 'white' people who --think-- that Muslins etc. etc. will be offended, when in fact they are nothing of the sort, and don't really care. Unfortunately it is often reported in such a way that we are lead to believe that these minorities are responsible for 'granny and the piggy banks' or similar anecdotes. Which just causes more problems.

Not that I particularly care what state this country is getting into, my wife and I have had enough and are taking our family and leaving at the start of 2007. I'm sure we are far from alone in doing the same.

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Yeah, it's the reverse side of the politically correct coin - and actually more damaging.

Where to, out of interest? I'd be away in a flash if it weren't for Charlotte wanting to stay - mind, I lived in Amsterdam for some time and contrary to what people may believe, it's certainly not a lot better there (probably worse if you take the hoards of drunk/stoned visitors into account). High on my list is New Zealand, Canada or perhaps somewhere in Africa.

Reply to
Mother

In message , John Stokes writes

There was the famous (notorious) case which went on for I believe a couple of years to argue whether a Jaffa Cake was in fact a cake or a biscuit - VAT is chargeable on cakes but not biscuits. The deciding factor to differentiate was that a biscuit goes soft when stale, but a cake goes hard.

Apparently so the story goes, the defence had a huge Jaffa Cake made and brought into the court for the duration of the hearing and as it went soft over time it was definitely a biscuit not a cake, so no VAT.

Reply to
hugh

We're actually moving to France - a pretty common place to go I know! but I have had a house there for years and have spent a long time in France over the past 15 years or so (all sparked by having a French GF for many years!) I don't think that France is perfect, but there is still a feeling of common sense prevailing there, and that 'society' actually means something that is to be respected. It has taken me about two years to persuade Helen to go, but she has finally given in! It does always does seem to be the women who are more attached to staying in familiar surroundings - I've spoken to quite a few guys who say they would move abroad, but their wife/partner doesn't want to go.

NZ is supposed to be great, my sister is married to a Kiwi and she lived there for a couple of years, had a fantastic job in a bank there that she couldn't possibly hope to get here without a PhD - why they don't move back I have no idea.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Hi Matt - which part of France? I moved to the Vendee (West France) a couple of years ago, and indeed the feeling of society is greater than in the UK - witness the recent strikes over unfavourable contracts for young people. The equivalent of the MOT is easier too, except the emissions :(

Legislation is a bugger though, with different agencies often contradicting each other, and more often tha nnot it is who you know that gets you through.

Regards,

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 18:01:24 +0200, Srtgray scribbled the following nonsense:

aah, the Vendee, a lovely part of france, and doesn't seem to be overpopulated with brits, unlike normandy, brittany and the pas de calais. Have many fond memeries of the wonderfully named La Tranche Sur Mer

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

|| aah, the Vendee, a lovely part of france, and doesn't seem to be || overpopulated with brits, unlike normandy, brittany and the pas de || calais. Have many fond memeries of the wonderfully named La Tranche || Sur Mer

"The Slice on the Sea"? Lovely place, spent ten days there summer before last.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:05:04 +0100, "Richard Brookman" scribbled the following nonsense:

thats the place! Small world innit! Last time I was there it was a february and freezing cold. The rollers coming in were more impressive than during the summer, but as I didn't have my wetsuit and belly board with me I couldn't try them out!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

The house is in the Poitou-Charante region about half way between Limogues and Potiers. The intention is to move into the existing house and then get somewhere bigger at our leisure in the same area as we know it around there! As I understand it, prices have softened in France over the past year or so.

Indeed, that is one of the problems with France. I think where most people go wrong is that they don't look into the legal side of what they are doing and go ahead blindly - which tends to get the French a bit annoyed with them - just causing more problems! They can be bloody awkward if they choose to be! :) Like you say, I think a lot of the time it is who you know - a friendly word (and a bottle of wine!!) with the local mayor usually gets you around a lot of things and works wonders!

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Bloody excellent

I'll be cueing up "Won't get fooled again" on the iPod. Do they say whether it incites only in those areas where bl**dy ridiculous speed limits have been set (eg straight open road with no junctions and no houses but it's a 40mph limit)?

Phil

Badger wrote:

Reply to
Phil Gardiner