What tyres for my 90?

At the moment my new 90 has bid fat tyres on 7 spoked wheels but I also have the original wheels with almost new mud type tyres on them. Now I wish to refit the original wheels and don't want the noise of the chunky mud tyres so what do you all reckon are the best road tyres to fit, they are only needed for light mud, wet grass, sandy gravel off road.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Avon Rangemaster 750x16R.

Reply to
Exit

Well i've recently fitted BFGoodrich AT's to my disco and they have been great! no differance in noise from the wrangler AP's that came off and they have been great so far in the mud and snow to date. Saying that tho they aren't cheap and i bought them because i'm going to do alot of trips to france, spain and eventually morroco so wanted a top brand tire.

I was directed several times towards colway tires as a option.

Jinx

Reply to
Jinx

We use BFGoodrich Radial All Terrain T/A's on our 90 and also had them on our last Range Rover. when our Disco tyres need replacing will put BFG All Terrain on that as well. We have found them superb in the snow (when we had cold winters that is!!), mud and great on tarmac and not noisy at all. Richard

Reply to
Richard

On or around Sat, 3 Jan 2004 01:05:08 +0000 (UTC), "Jinx" enlightened us thusly:

Colway do an AT pattern remould which is very simialr to the "old" BFG AT pattern. They don't last anything like as long but they are cheap. Currently got Nankang Wide Conqueror on my 110, which seem quite good for the money, being a lot cheaper than BFG, Michelin et al.

Pirelli Scorpion AT grip very well on road but didn't last that long, I had 'em as a deal with the wheels I got for mine, but wasn't keen on replacing them at normal price. The Nankangs are cheaper, not quite so good in the wet on tarmac, but with a more open tread pattern which probably makes 'em better off-road.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Any idea where to buy Colway these days? All my local tyre places seem to thing they're doing people a favour by refusing to carry remoulds. These are the same places that have started carrying part worns as a cheap tyre.

Gah!.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:51:50 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

try Craddocks. I think they advertise 'em. or others in the comics.

There was a hiatus in the supply, as Colway went bust. But they seem to have Phoenixed, so i think they're available again now.

Mind, the nankangs are not a lot more, and are of known quality.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'd second that - you don't get much better than these. Pretty reasonable off road, quiet and long lasting (I've still got originals on my truck from at 60k+ now).

Enough people I know have said that ATs do not provide the best of both worlds ie not enough bite on wet grass and have found them to be a liability under heavy breaking on greasy roads. Accordingly, they have switched back to Rangemasters on the training vehicles they use.

Reply to
pl.white

Reply to
Exit

I presume you are all talking of the rather chunky Rangemaster that comes as standard fit not the Rangemaster CR34 which looks more onroad? Is the standard fit one quiet onroad or does it "sing"?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

The one at the bottom of this page:

They are very quiet on road, good off-road and last well IMHO.

Reply to
Exit

Not the CR34 - too close tread pattern to be any use off road. Much to my horror - they don't sing!

Reply to
pl.white