Disco paiintwork and greenlaning.

Hi, I appreciate that all paintwork suffers from the rigours of offroading/greenlaning. I am looking at buying a younger Disco and wondered if anyone could advise me of what is the "best" production colour paint on a Disco that will weather greenlaning marks and scratches? My current Disco is Caprice Turqoise and scratches as soon as you look at it :-( I have been told that white is the best but It crossed my mind that it's the type of finish and not the colour that counts.

Can someone give me their opinion please? thank in advance. tony

Reply to
The Doctor ToGeR

Hello Tony :-)

Silver is the new white :-)

You could paint it in 2 pack, or alternatively, do what the europeans do, and cling film the panels before going out. I have discovered that the silver RR doesn't scratch easily *without* cling film :-)

Reply to
Neffalump

Land Rover use white vehicles for the Land Rover Experience as white does not show up scratches and small knocks as much as other colours.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:26:13 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

except that they're silver now.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

All the ones we have been in have been silver - as are police cars now. Easier to sell on... Richard

Reply to
Richard

Solid colours are much easier to touch-up and repair than metallics. You can't get a decent repair on a metallic panel without spraying all or part of it. A solid colour can be touched up and then polished back to smooth.

I don't think colour matters much, although something pale to match the base metal / primer would make sense.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I take it Black's not in then :-(

Reply to
The Doctor ToGeR

Caprise is a Mica or Metallic colour which has a lacquered finish, Lacquer finishes are notorious for showing up scratches simply because scratched lacquer always shows up as white which is exaggerated even more against the coloured basecoat background underneath.

Solid colours are slightly better because they can easily be worked or polished but watch out for certain solid none metallic colours that are still lacquered.

Most coloured paint finishes when scratched will still show as white without actually penetrating through the top surface. White probably is the best colour to go for because the pigment is after all still white and tends not to be as obvious when scratched.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Is there a cure to scratched lacquer please steve?

Reply to
The Doctor ToGeR

Nine times out of ten yes, Lacquer and solid colours can nearly always be polished or compounded to remove minor scratches.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

This is interesting. Can you post any tips please? regards S

Reply to
nukiwi

I've only got one website page dedicated to polishing but it does attempt to explain the basics of polishing paint finishes.

More tips or methods will be added to the site later this year,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Is there some kind of hard-bastard bomb-proof lacquer that can be put on with a reasonable scratch-proof finish that won't break the bank?

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Not really, the only sure way of having a tough finish is by stove enamelling, all car manufactures have their paint stoved or at least oven baked.

Although stoved colours and lacquers are more resilient to scratching, they will unfortunately still scratch.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull