Zinc plated screws in 300Tdi head.

Here is a question for the technically minded........Due to unavailability of the correct studs for the inlet/exhaust manilfolds on a 300Tdi cylinder head, I am tempting to use straight forward galvanised screws in lieu of the normal ones ones which do not appear to have been treated in any way.

Now does this pose an elctrochemical reaction that may lead to difficulty in removing the screws should I ever need to at a later date?

Griff

Reply to
Griffith

Griff Hi,

I can not provide you with any 100% sure reply but using cooper grease on threads of bolts required on areas with extreme temperatures is a safe way to be sure that they will be easy to remove in the future.

I use cooper or aluminium grease on the bolts and nuts on the turbochargers and exhaust manifolds of my cars and have not had a problem with stuck screws etc for a long time now. Just torque them properly because some people suggest that they may make them more easy to get undone if not torqued.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Exhaust studs tend to be some form of high-tensile steel. What thread and length are they?

Reply to
EMB