Stuck CD magazine

A colleague pushed in an empty CD magazine in the changer of my '98 LS

400. Now I am unable to remove it. Hitting he eject button results in a whirring sound as the mechanism attempts to engage, but it does not eject the magazine. Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how have you had it resolved? Also, was there any damage to the changer? I suspect that my local service center would charge quite a bit to have it removed.
Reply to
Buckshot LeFunk

Buckshot LeFunk

Well, I guess you're 'stuck' having to listen to the radio, for now :)

I really don't have a solution but I did encountered the problem you described before. I tried prying it out and everything (I have an older LS so I wasn't concerned about damaging it). One day, I went to pressed the eject button just for the heck of it and the cartridge just popped out! I think the '98's changer's underneath the glovebox instead of in the trunk, correct? Good luck

The changer is above the glovebox. I await word from the local Lexus service center.

Reply to
Buckshot LeFunk

I think the job is around $300-$400 exchange price plus R&R labor (takes about an hour total)

I've done one myself in a '96 and the '98 is identical (the changer is not electrically interchangeable between those years, but the R&R procedure is the same). Here's how to do it:

Start by opening the passenger side door and remove the nut holding the right hand bottom edge of the dash molding. Next open the main glove box and pop out the small rectangular panel in the rear of the box, slightly left of center. Remove the 10MM nut you've just found. Don't worry if you drop the nut out of the end of the socket, you'll be able to reach it eventually. Once this bolt is out, give a tug on the glovebox and you should start to see some progress.

That should get you started. You've got to remove (completely) the lower main glove compartment assembly. Then you can remove the screws holding the door to the upper glove box assembly (the one in front of the CD changer). The two little strut rods have triangular-shaped covers that simply pop off with a knofe blade. Only one of them (the left I believe) has a damper assembly. The right hand rod is merely a guide with a stop on it, so this rod will come completely out. The left one will remain in the glovebox liner. The upper glovebox liner has to be removed... again a few obvious screws to remove and it will pop right out.

The CD changer I recall is actually held in place with 3 or perhaps 4 bolts. Once loose there **IS** enough slack in the cable to allow you to drop the changer down and unplug it.

Note well: As you work your way in, note well the routing of the courtesy lamp and glove box lamp wiring and door switch. Remember, we've got to put it all back. :)

Reply to
New Owner

Happend in my 96 LS. Sometimes it goes to "err 13" on the display and the cart wont play or eject. I just leave it alone, then every day, when I go in the car (after it's been sitting for a while), I hit the eject button or sometimes I try to play it. After a few days, it just works.

It's not a fix but, it's better than spending $500-600 on a CD changer, when it does work fine but, just gets moody : )

Reply to
Dave