Another CD stuck in the Mach 460 CD changer

2001 GT, Mach 460 head unit with in-dash CD changer.

Okay, I've had disc get stuck when attempting to eject them before. Usually, I would use another disc to push it back in, and the disc would eject. This was usually only a problem when it's really hot.

Today I'm listening to a disc in slot 1 (Tool, 10,000 Days, just in case anyone cares), and I decided to slip another CD in slot 2 (the Grace Under Pressure tour audio CD included in the new Rush Replay DVDs). This disc gets stuck on insert, and it's all the way back, so I can't push it any farther in. It's too far in to grab with my skinniest needle-nose pliers. I can see it is still in the insertion slot. It has not dropped to load. I've let the cabin cool down (it was hot today), and the disc still won't budget. Hitting load or eject does nothing but display an error. I cannot hear the motors trying to load or eject any discs.

I want to remove the face plate from the unit to see if that will allow me to get my pliers in there to grab the disc.

Does anyone know of another way to get the player to eject the disc? Can someone tell me or point me to a web site that tells me how to remove the face plate so I can grab the disc.

- Max - ======= My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. - Huey Freeman

Reply to
Max C. Webster III

I had this problem a while back, and I used a very thin knife blade very carefully to push down the edge of the CD and it popped out. This was several months ago and the problem has not reappeared.

Philoman

Reply to
philoman

Thanks. I gave that a try. I was able to make contact with the disc and push down on it. I could also rotate the disc with the knife. The disc still would not budge.

- Max - ======= My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. - Huey Freeman

Reply to
Max C. Webster III

Reply to
Charles

The disc never budged, and the motors will not run, but I got my Rush disc out. I took a slim knife, wrapped a file label around the tip, stick side out, inserted it above the disc, pressed down, and slipped the disc out of the slot.

The player still is "stuck" with the door open. I tell it to load or eject, and it gives me an error. I cannot play the Tool disc still in slot one, and I cannot get to it through the door. I will have to remove the player to extract that one.

Does anyone know of a site with some instructions for removing the Mach 460 head unit from the dash? I think the Mach 460 is a goner, and if I decide to keep the car past this year, I will probably put in an aftermarket unit, something with AM and MP3 capabilities.

- Max - ======= My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. - Huey Freeman

Reply to
Max C. Webster III

Reply to
Charles

Your instructions start with "remove the unit from the car." I don't know how to do that. To be more accurate, I don't know how to remove the plastic parts from the dash to get to the screws. Do the parts snap on and off? I haven't put too much force on them because I was worried that I might break something (I did that *twice* in my old Mitsubishi Galant).

I was hoping some enthusiast would have put some instructions and maybe a photo or six on a web page somewhere describing the process.

- Max - ======= My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. - Huey Freeman

Reply to
Max C. Webster III

Does this help, Max?

Regards, Sarah

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

Which are you, idiot or troll? And where in the heck is Umatilla, Florida? I lived on Key Biscayne for a few years and then my parents had a home in Palm Beach. Are you near either? :)

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

Max,

That's because your head unit knows you'll never want that p/g disc out : )

Seriously, my kenwood does the same when it get's warm from the sun....or volume. Also, some discs have such elaborate art work (sorry, don't have that DVD set yet) that the disc is actually thick enough to catch on the way out or cause enough friction where the motor considers it a jam. I've only seen this in autos, not home systems,

Reply to
John