02 mondeo clutch problems.

I have a Mondeo 2.0 diesel 02 year Problem when the car was warm the clutch seemed to slip.the rev counter would increase and pulse up and down,the car seemed to do the same.I tried to take off with the brakes on to see if it would slip but did not want to. This did not always occur mind but is becoming more and more common. It now seems to have finaly given up the ghost now. I am not too bad at mechanics,is it possible to change on the drive way?

Reply to
clarbi

NO

Reply to
mrcheerful

And why not?????

Reply to
AUSSIE BONGO

Although anything may be done by anyone, anywhere, a Mondeo clutch change is far beyond the capabilities of the average home mechanic, the fact the question is asked at all shows the level of knowledge available (I believe)

A quick check back (in this newsgroup) on "mondeo clutch" will show the level of difficulty. I am certain that the Haynes book must show umpteen spanners as the degree of difficulty, quite apart from the need for expensive lifting and aligning gear.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Because you have to drop the front subframe, take the gearbox out, put it all back together and re-align the subframe. If you get the alignment wrong, you get a dangerous car.

Reply to
Conor

Bring back the Mk2 Astra style clutch :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

trust me you DO NOT want to do this on your back in the drive, I do them on a 2 post ramp and they are still a pain in the arse.

Reply to
reg

the best idea since sliced bread & they do away with the bugger !

Reply to
reg

because he said so :p and it's not something that's covered by the Haynes manual

Reply to
dojj

I don't honestly see a technical, or even cost reason why a clutch or timing belt replacement shouldn't be a simple inexpensive under an hour's work job on virtually any vehicle, and according to this article, there appears to be no reason why even a bog standard Astra shouldn't do half-a-million miles and still have a bit of life left in it!

Ivan

gearbox that takes the time, If you think it can be done in an hour with what has to be removed please let me know the way as i'm obviously farting about doing something wrong.

Reply to
simondo

He was saying that the designs shouldn't be over-complicated, like the old Astras.

They were an easy hour's work. I did mine in an hour and a half total elapsed time, over 2 days (due to rain and various other distractions), and that involved a lot of pissing about not having the right tools etc.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Sorry if you misunderstood my meaning, I wasn't making a statement about 'existing' vehicles.

After all Henry Ford built his empire on the fact that his vehicles were not only designed to be reliable, but 'easily' and cheaply maintained by the Sunday mechanic!

Reply to
Ivan

In message , AstraVanMan writes

Doddle wasn't it. I managed to replace the gearbox bearings in an afternoon, without removing the gearbox. On another day, I put in new big end and main shells with just the sump removed. Nice engine to work on.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Quite a torquey and economical engine too, and the 2 litre versions were reasonably powerful. Then there's the cam belt - if it fails, put a new belt on, start engine, go. Why don't they make engines like that any more? (I know, I know, it's yer emissions innit).

Reply to
Carl Bowman

message

most mondeo's now have to be code read to find the fault so unless the sunday mechanic has the the code reader he will have to stick to the astras of yester year. The price of parts is average and mechanically if looked after is reliable,most problems relate to owner abuse.

Reply to
simondo

Yes - something a clutch on a Mondeo can be made to last a very long time by just being nice to it.

Doesn't explain the fact that they made the oil filter an utter bitch to get to though.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The general premise being though, that if after seven or eight years a basic fault that should be easily and swiftly remedied, turns out to be very expensive horror story, then it becomes a toss up between the great landfill in the sky or a replacement vehicle.

Which no doubt means that thousands of otherwise quite serviceable vehicles, with probably many more years life left in them, are taken out of circulation every single day.

Working in the field of domestic electronics service I see a similar situation on a daily basis. Nationwide there are probably millions of what could be perfectly serviceable items dumped every week into overflowing landfills, how many years into the future this state of affairs can be allowed to continue, is anyone's guess.

Reply to
Ivan

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "AstraVanMan" saying something like:

One of the small Datsuns had that too.. the Cherry istr. Utterly ace idea.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Amen to that.

Reply to