1991 Imported Celica.... Alternator, easy to change?

Hi...

I have a 1991 Celica GT-R.

Is the alternator easy to change, cheap or easy to get hold of.

Any ideas which engine is in this model?

Any advice would be apprecated

Many Thanks Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Remove and clean the points of contact for all leads going into and out of the alternator before changing it as this is more likely the cause of a problem. To check where the problem is, use a voltmeter at the battery terminals and at the alternator terminals. Both voltages should be about 2 volts more with the engine running.

If the fault is indeed with the alternator, take it off, clean where the brushes make contact and, if they're worn, replace the brushes. A Haynes manual will walk you through this.

If you do decide to change it, they are a fairly easy part to change. Expect to pay a scrap yard £30 or more for one (too much, I know). To make sure you get the right one, take your old one with you.

DP

What cc is it? Mike

Reply to
Mike G

Paul

2.0

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul

Then I'd say it's the 3S-GE. Virtually the same engine as in the Celica GT4, or MR2 of the same year. With turbo fitted, as in the GT4, or jap MR2, it becomes the 3S-GTE. Hope this helps. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G