Oops Petrol in the Diesel Tank

Does anyone know a way of draining out the fuel from a Discovery (2003). I tried a sump oil extractor down the diesel filler pipe and it worked but I couldn't get the tube round the bend in the filler pipe and just got a few pints out. Dave

Reply to
David.Parry

Just use a siphon hose. Long hose down the filler, suck on hose and make sure that the free end is lower than the tank - and hey presto a low tech way to get the fuel out.

Reply to
Roger

Have they done away with the anti-syphon grid, then?

It might be easier to lift the cover plate in the 'boot', remove the level sender and pump out through the hole.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:11:01 +0000, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

almost certainly will be.

depends how much petrol and how much room in the tank. If you've filled it then it's more or less essential to remove the majority of it, if you only put a few litres in and then thought "oh shit!!" then, if the tank's low, filling up with diesel ought to dilute the petrol enough to get away with it.

Mind, I don't know if there are any new vulnerabilities with the newer engines, but on older engines if you could get the petrol content down below

10% then just run it and top up the diesel once you've made space.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

When I had to do the same in another vehicle, I disconnected the feed and return hoses from the fuel pump and blocked the feed hose. The feed hose is at the lowest point in the tank and the return hose is open to the tank just above the feed hose. If that's the same as the hose layout in the landy, the return hose is the ideal already-present siphon hose, I then just blew hard through the tank vent hose, this pressurised the tank enough for fuel to flow up the return hose which I ran to a container below the tank. Siphoning force did the rest.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Should have made it more clear that the other vehicle wasn't a landy, so the pump hose layout might not be the same. A peek at a parts diagram might make it clear if this rather easy method will work.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

|| Mind, I don't know if there are any new vulnerabilities with the || newer engines, but on older engines if you could get the petrol || content down below 10% then just run it and top up the diesel once || you've made space. --

If it's a Td5, then I (oops) did the same thing. I put about 20 litres of unleaded in before I realised, bit I was going on holiday in a couple of days so I didn't have time to arse around with siphons! I filled with diesel (giving a ratio of about 5:1) and topped off with a litre of 2-stroke oil. I then used 1/4 of the tank and topped off with diesel again, and then once more on a half tank. After that I had a long run which almost drained the tank, then I filled with diesel and did about 2500 miles to Italy and back towing a caravan. Apart from a (possible) slightly louder rattle when cold, I think I got away with it. Not recommended, but needs must ...

Reply to
Richard Brookman