93 Cavalier Auto 1.8 LS

I've seen this car for sale at a local forecourt. It has 150k on it. Is it worth taking a closer look or does it have a bad reputation?

Thnaks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

it is just too old, the only way that you should buy a car of that age is if you knew the last owner really well. The car itself was a good model in its day. If the car has a guarantee, an mot and is about 150 - 250 quid then buy it, but be prepared to throw it away. I would steer clear.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

As long as the rear inner arches are OK, the mechanics sound, it's a cheap motor but I'd not want to be paying more than a couple of hundred quid. Should top 200,000 miles without much trouble but as I said, beware the rear arches. You need to get your head up in the wheelarch or pull back the boot trim to look.

Reply to
Conor

Mehhhh. I've been smokin' about in a '72 Rover P6 and I didn't know the previous owner, it's fine! (But it's only done 81,000 miles...)

Reply to
Pete M

Agree with both previous posters.

I bought a 93K Cavalier 1.8LS manual as a stop gap in September 2006 for £175 from a work colleague who had owned it for over 10 years and bought it straight from the lease company at 3 years old. (She was offered £175 as a trade in price, but the dealer was going to send it for scrap!)

It had covered 200,600 miles when I bought it and came with 9 months MOT and

3 months tax and a recent radiator, clutch and cambelt and 6CD stacker. We used it for 3 months and sold it for £175 to a friend who used it for 18 months until the MOT ran out in when the leaking petrol tank (rusty at the top) and wheel arches finally killed it.

I put a second hand battery on it, changed the oil and filter and gave it a good checkover. It was a very comfortable and reliable car.

Reply to
Doctor D

If you know about vehicles then the situation is a bit different, if the OP needs to ask.......

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Cheers, for all advice>

Arthur