93 Rover 218 unlocks but won't open?

Hi All,

Yesterday I went to open the Rover and although the central locking seemed to do it's thing (all 4 buttons came up) the drivers door still wouldn't open (like when it get's frozen shut in the winter).

I could open the door from the inside ok.

Before I pull the door lining off again (last time it was to repair the lekky window) is this a 'known' thing, is something broken (like will I need spares) or has something simply come unclipped etc do you think please?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. In 23 years I didn't have any issues with central locking or electric windows on the Sierra ... because it didn't have any .. (yet I was still able to open and close the windows and lock the doors) ;-)

Reply to
T i m

my metro does this if parked in the sun, I suspect the plastic door handle goes soft and flexes, but I can't be bothered to look, I just leave the window open or get in the other side

Reply to
MrCheerful

There's bound to be some link from the exterior handle to the actual lock

- it might just have come off. Or something broken.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Funny you say that .. it was parked with the drivers door in the sun (and it was hot yesterday).

Hmm, that's exactly what I have been doing but not entirely convienient ..

Food for thought though ta ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hmm, looks like I'd better just 'get in there' then Dave .. I might re-fit the panel with Velcro .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Should be easy to work out if something has broken by comparing the effort needed to lift the handle with the passenger's door, with both open. If it's the same as many of this era there is a clip which holds the operating lever in place and can be tricky to latch home. It's possible this wasn't done properly if work was carried out at some time and it's just unclipped. Ever the optimist, me. ;-) If it is missing, look in the bottom of the door.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ok, I'll try that in a mo when I put my mates Pug wheels back in the boot (don't think they will work on the Ranger) ;-(

Hmm, reminds me when we fitted the door handles on the kit car .. 20 mins to fit the engine and 2 hours / door handle (my fingers were just

10" too short) ;-)

Well that was me when repairing the dropped drivers door window / bent lekky arm mech but the door has been working fine since then (2+ months)?

Good thinking .. oh well, at least it's not raining out there ...

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m