Anyone breaking a Volvo 740?

My POS Volvo estate came back to me (not in a bad situation or anything, just wasn't wanted anymore) - I've got to fix it up, I can't bear to see a basically decent and practical car go to waste.

Front wings are very rotten, though everything they attach to looks perfectly good. o/s/r taillight is smashed. Rear wiper motor/linkage has jammed. n/s mirror (manual adjustment) is smashed, and the steering rack is leaking somewhere.

If anyone is breaking or throwing away a 740 I can scavenge bits off, and can either remove the bits or is in SE Scotland, I'd appreciate an email about it! The tail-light is a real PITA, £50 from Volvo, £41+ postage for the ones I've found on eBay, and £10-20 from a scrappy. GSF have them for £35+VAT which is my sort of "I give up" route, I think.

It decided to die on me in B&Q, mirroring the Supra's death a few months ago. Once again, the Supra benefits - rather than buy a new battery for the Volvo, I got a Supra one instead...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

The message from RichardK contains these words:

Practical Old Solid?

Pongy Olfactory Startler?

Particularly 'Oribble Starter?

Perfectly Oxidised Substrate?

Pile Of Shit?

I think we should be told.

Reply to
Guy King

Whilst the second one is most appealing, it is, sadly, a pile of shit. It was, despite once being blue, mostly brown. Whilst a wash and a t-cut resulted in 90% of it being blue again, 10% of it washed away ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

The message from RichardK contains these words:

Could be worse - one model of Marina was avilable with a brown interior. Get a white paint job and it looked like you were driving a soiled nappy.

Reply to
Guy King

Feck, I just cleared out most of my 740 bits on account of not having one any more. All I have left is hubcaps. :-) mebbe.

Reply to
Taz

My parents had one exactly like that.

6 months old and the front wings were bubbling through with rust, too.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

A mate of mine bought a brand new marina. It let in so much water he called it a mariner.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat