argh i need help

i have a g reg citroen ax and i foolishly added 15 pounds worth of diesel into the petrol tank, i then even more foolishly tried driving the thing. my question is i need to know how to find the drain system so i can drain the diesel out of the tank?!?!??!

Reply to
tambourinetwanger

on most cars there is no drain system. if you are in a motoring org. call them, they will do it all for you

otherwise, get all the fuel you can out by syphoning, fill (not just a couple of gallons) with petrol, drive till as empty as practical, refill.

Reply to
MrCheerful

have been told that there is a drainer of some sort, argh!!! lol how do i syphone, there is approx 15 quid of diesel and about 15 quid of petrol in the tank

Reply to
tambourinetwanger

I would be very doubtful that a motoring organisation will do anything other than tow you to their preferred garage to have it drained out at your expense. This is not cheap!

Environmental and safety considerations have prevented roadside drain outs being done for some time now, at least by the AA.

Please dispose of the contaminated fuel responsibly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There isn't.

How can somebody be as stupid as you and remember to breath?

No, there's £30 of mixed petrol and diesel in the tank. You aren't seriously thinking of trying to separate them and re-using the petrol, are you?

Reply to
Adrian

having got all the fuel out, you can use it up by putting a gallon or two in each nearly full tank of fresh petrol (only do this on an older vehicle, such as yours)

Reply to
MrCheerful

of course im not, with it been such an old car it isnt worth repairing. our local garage said he cant take it off our hands till its drained. and i was tired hence why i mixed the pumps together

Reply to
tambourinetwanger

gonna get the heap of shit scrapped but was told the yard wont take it until i have it drained. how do garages drain if no drain system on the car

Reply to
tambourinetwanger

i plan on scrapping the heap of tin, but was informed the yard wont take it hence why i need the fuel draining. how will the garage drain if no drain in place

Reply to
tambourinetwanger
[...]

Garages who do this regularly use an electric pump designed for the purpose.

Usual DIY method is to syphon as much out as possible, then if it has an electric pump force that to run by bridging the relay. If it has a mechanical pump remove the outlet pipe and drain into a can.

If draining for the purpose of clearing contamination, remove tank and wash out.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

i plan on scrapping the heap of tin, but was informed the yard wont take it hence why i need the fuel draining. how will the garage drain if no drain in place

breakers yards have to drain them as a legal requirement, they would usually use a fuel pump with a long tube to suck fuel out of the tank, or stick a screwdriver in the tank.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Crap. He's trying to screw you out of the scrap money.

A garage'll usually drain the tank by using a small electric pump which either fits onto the fuel line or dips in the filler neck. Takes about ten minutes, then a good service and it'll be as good as it was before.

Reply to
Adrian

If it's only scrap value you're after then ring another breakers and say you've got a pile of s**te that needs collecting. Scrap value has shot up recently so I'm sure they'd be obliged.

Reply to
redwood

Ulster man can help you wherever you are in the UK. Basic fee is ?£150+ travel expenses. He will come to you in a van with his fuel clearingparaphernalia. Phone him on his mobile. I read from discussion groups onmisfuelling that he was a very helpful guy and the service was excellent. Alternatively, you can get hold of one of these fluid hand-extractors (delivered) and pump out the now mixed petrol yourself (agitation > vapour > highly flammable!!). The suction plastic tube is to be passed into the fuel tank through the filler, naturally.
I have my eye on this Laser Fluid Extractor from Screwfix.
The garage uses something like this costing £900.

Lin Chung

Run yer two stroke stuff off it. That's what we did when the van got filled with petrol (bizarre labelling at the pumps of a filling station, not fuckwittedness)...

Reply to
Doki

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote in news:1176187310.664788.150730 @n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

This won't help, but I pulled into a petrol station in Edinburgh I've never used before to fill with diesel. Took me a while to find the diesel pump. It was at the end of the line on it's own after the petrol ones. When I pulled the filler nozzle out of its holster, a loud recorded voice issued from the pump telling me it was a diesel pump I was at, and was I really, really sure I wanted diesel, I should check the car I was driving etc. A good idea for the terminally thick, but I don't like being harangued by a fuel pump.

Reply to
Tunku

Am I the only one to be disapointed by the link after reading "Laser Fluid Extractor"? :-)

Reply to
Thingy

I have a Hozelock 5L pressure (gardening) sprayer which cost me ?£15, but that was some 10 years ago. This extractor should not be much different: the one-way valve needs to be reversed, that's all. How could that come to £40?! The second choice was £70+ in the review. Looking up on the Sealey catalogue on the day the review was out, I was reassured it was. Two days latter, I checked up again, it had gone up..... to £100+!!

Reply to
Lin Chung

Nice find, but I think you miss my point. From the title I was expecting[1] to see an amazing device that vapourises the liquid (with Dr. Evil style laser) from one container and somehow converts it back to liquid in another container with the mere push of a button (evil cackling laughter optional).

Due to recent health and safety legislation, I am obliged to point out that evil cackling can cause damage to the larynx and numerous bullet holes. :-)

[1] Well, no I wasn't really, but still.
Reply to
Thingy