astra ecu?

Hi

I have recently started to have problems with my 1998 Vauxhall Astra Sport (1.8 16v, X18XE1 engine). The engine management light came on a few days ago and the engine started missing. I got the code P0201 from the diags, which means a fault with injector number 1. I put it to the garage and they say that it's not the injector nor the circuits, but most probably the ECU. The funny thing is, it seems to run fine for one journey, then misses the next, fine the next, misses the next, and so on. Can anyone 1) say wheteher this sounds like an ECU issue and/or 2) Tell me the best course of action if it is the ECU. If I get a 2nd hand replacement, do the part numbers have to match?

Kind regards Keith

Reply to
<Keith>

Friend of mine had a good experience with

, but you would be without your car for a few days while they have it.

Reply to
Richard Parkin

Unplug your ECU for a few minutes to let it reset to factory defaults. You can then see if the problem recurs.

Reply to
gazzafield

Without seeing the vehicle, it could be anything. First thing I'd do would be check the resistance across the injector terminals for any obivous fault with injectors. I'd then try swapping the suspect injector with another one to see if the fault moves, to eliminate the injector as the cause.

Next I'd be checking the wiring, for any obvious damage before testing for continuity.

Reply to
moray

Thanks for the replies, folks.

The guy at the garage swapped injectors 1 and 2, same code came up for injector 1, so that ruled out the injector. He also said he checked the circuits and they're OK. Seems really odd that the problem is on-off-on-off in a regular pattern.

If it is the ECU, do the numbers have to match or can one that's physically the same size be reprogrammed?

Cheers Keith

Reply to
<Keith>

It's not quite that easy. Any second hand ECU has got to be reset before it's removed from the donor vehicle, unless you also get the Immobilizer module that sits around the ignition barrel, along with the 4 digit security code, so you can reprogramme it to suit your keys (unless you also swap all the locks aswell).

And yes, part numbers will have to be the same (or checked for superseded numbers), and the ECU will most likely have to be re-configured for your own car).

One other thing to check though. Was the P0201 the only code stored? These engines were notorious for coil pack failure, which could be picked up as a different fault by the ECU, and is something I'd be considereing before going to the expense of a new ECU.

Reply to
moray

Thanks, moray. That was the only code that came up. I spoke to the guy at the garage when I put the car in, and he mentioned that the coil packs are a common fault, so I asssumed that he had also checked that.

Reply to
<Keith>

I'd be more inclined towards a loom fault, rather than ECU. Sit with the engine idling, then go round the wiring loom, wiggling it and listen for the engine missing. Ford had a good feature called the 'wiggle test' where the car would beep if you touched a connection that caused a fault (when wiggled, obviously).

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

At least it's sounding as if the garage is competant :)

Reply to
David R