Astra Quarterlight Broken.

Hi Folks

I have had a quarterlight broken by some mindless moron and need to know how to put new glass in. It is a G reg 4 door Astra Mk2. I have the glass fromn my local scrapper which I cut out with stanley knife but how do I get it in?

Does the main glass have to come out or is there a trick I am missing.

I am quite ill with flu but need this car on the road so any help with this woulod be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
sean

Not sure about your car but if it is anything like my Carlton was you need to remove the seperator between the q/light and the main glass and to do that the main glass had to come out through the inside of the door and that meant removing the interior panle from the door . Sounds complicated but it was quite easy .If it is bonded in then thats a different story. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

If it's a rear glass held in by a rubber seal, the autoglass people use a length of cord threaded through a brass dart sort of thing. It is possible to do it without the special tool. Clean out all broken glass and muck. Obtain a length of cable (fan heater size) and press it all around inside the rubber seal leaving two tails close together to pull on. Place the glass firmly against the rubber and press firmly as you pull the tails apart to open up the seal. As you need three hands to do this properly best to invite someone to help. In this weather you'll need a bucket of hot water and some washing up liquid to make it supple enough and stop your fingers falling off. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK