AX Diesel failed mot on emmisions

My Citroen ax diesel has just failed the mot on emissions. The tester recommended using a diesel additive, which should bring the emissions down. Any recommendations for an additive or suggestions on what else I can check? TIA

Reply to
Charles

Take a look in Halfords, there are loads of different ones. Any of the well known names should do what you want. I used some stuff from QVC last year that worked well, claimed to clean the nozzles and the engine. Depending on the type of driving you do, a new air cleaner and a good thrash up the motorway works wonders, you really want 50 to a 100 miles to get the engine nice and hot and clear out all the crap.

Bill

Reply to
Barney

An Italian tuneup is what you need.

Take it for a damn good blast in a gear lower than you'd normally use. Let the engine get nice and hot, and blow the cobwebs out.

Then try again.

If it fails, come back, we'll give you a refund :-p

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

And after it's scraped through the MOT on emmisions, you might want to fix the problem, not treat the symptons, injectors don't last for ever even though people seem to think they do, they could cost from £10 each to £50 each for a standard car, (cost me about £130 for a set of six for my VW LT few years ago, and £35 each for the 4 for the iveco i have now)

You could be amazed at the differance in fuel consumption you get with properly atomizing injectors, not to mention the reduction in smoke when you boot it, and in bad cases you may get better performance,

I go a little over the top and have my injector pumps re-calibrated every few years, costs about £120 to have done (if you can take it off and re-fit and re-time) but that almost always transforms the vehicle, there's a lot of rotating mechanics inside a standard injection pump, and they do wear in use, but it's again not somehting people think about.. untill the day something inside breaks, and you get a bill for about £1500 for a replacement pump :)

Reply to
CampinGazz

I'd have make my engine rev to 9k to manage that :P.

Reply to
Doki

CampinGazz declared:

Any value in doing that with Petrol injectors?

Reply to
Bigjon

Not unless they're worn out, they have a much much easier life then Diesel Injectors.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Duncan Wood declared:

thanks