MOT Question (It Failed)

Hi,

We took our four-year-old Pergeot 307 in for its MOT yesterday and it has failed, despite the fact that we still have just under a month to run on the old MOT the tester rekons that this is now invalid, is this true?

TIA,

Doug.

Reply to
Doug Spinney

No, Mot certificates cannot be withdrawn.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Doug Spinney (Doug Spinney ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No. And Yes.

Your old MOT is still valid.

However, if your car is unroadworthy, it is not legal to drive. Just the same as it wasn't legal to drive it on Tuesday, before that failed test, if it was unroadworthy. You've just lost the (slight) excuse of the fact you didn't know.

What did it fail on?

Reply to
Adrian

Minor fuel leak (Diesel) and a couple of bulbs (number plate).

Regards,

Doug.

Reply to
Doug Spinney

While I see what you're getting at Reg, is there any difference in the failure rate of bulbs in different cars? Logic would say not, but experience says our last Previa went through a brake light bulb about once a month!

Other parts yes, I can see why testers and VOSA are interested in what parts fail, but bulbs seems a bit irrelevant.

Reply to
asahartz

Do the simple MOT checks before the MOT to stop needless fails. Look it up online or the haynes and it goes thourgh a list of things YOU can check!

Reply to
James

Something must have been wrong with it to eat a bulb a month ?

Reply to
James

Bulb life is significantly shorter in cars with higher charging voltages - my Mercedes runs a 14.0V dead and has so far not blown a lamp in a year (though the tail lamps are HiP so I hope it never does), the Volvo ran about

14.4V and was a regular killer of lamps, not helped by DRLs of course. Not metered up the Toyota but it has gone through a couple of brake lamps in only 20k miles.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In message , asahartz writes

Vibration is a factor in bulb failure and that can vary according to manufacturer.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

So that's the excuse to give the plod when you get pulled for only having one headlight after it went about 3 months back? Lights are dead easy to check when you are cleaning the car, and you can check brake lights and reversing bulbs when parking by looking for the light splash against walls etc.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Chris Dugan ("Chris Dugan" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Cleaning?

Fuck, I check the lights more often than I clean the car. And I don't check the lights often enough...

Reply to
Adrian

Thats OCD :)

Reply to
James

James ("James" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, it's indolence. The XM was MOTd more often than it was washed.

Reply to
Adrian

:)

Reply to
James

and money more importantly!

Reply to
James

i meant in my postion as an mot tester. i fail so many vehicles on basic stuff that should really be checked prior to an mot, from bulbs to no screen wash in the bottle, it would save me & yourselve (customer) a lot of time & hassle.

Reply to
reg

No surprise there really, it has long been known that the life of a bulb is inversely proportional to the supply voltage. Also most bulbs fail when turned on, and brake lights get turned on and off more than any other bulb in the vehicle.

Reply to
Brian

Clever you, but the reversing lights are not tested in an MOT.

Reply to
Brian

It frightens me when I realise so many peple rely on the annual MOT to find out if they actually have lights on their vehicle. It should be at least a weekly check.

Reply to
Brian

OCD ??

Regards,