Black smoke from a 106?

Hmm, ok ..

Especially if you are only doing low mileage etc ...

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Doesn't that have CVT? If so, is the CVT any more reliable than that from other manufacturers?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Ta, I'll try that again later ..

Ok.

Indeed but I was responding to the idea in general (bigger old boys car etc).

I must admit I've never had a Citroen (or known anyone who has) and always perceived them as expensive on parts and over complicated (weird suspension, 1,000's of relays .. but that was a Safari I was looking at the time ).

;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Familiar in that I've serviced it a couple of times and changed the cam / aux belts yes (of and the throttle cable that was down to one stand).

Talking of that 1.9 (non turbo), is it possible it's just 'tired' at

185,000 miles or all they all pretty gutless?

The reason I ask is I towed my 14' dinghy over to my sisters a few weeks ago and it really seemed to know it was on the back (in spite of it being very light and fairly aerodynamic). I can't remember the 1.3 Mk2 Escort making that much of a meal of it (it towed the same boat to Norfolk and the Lakes several times).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

;-)

Can't see it Steve (might be my hosts file blocking it).

Is this the 1.4 Rover lump that seems to fail in everything it's fitted to Steve (warped heads, one time bolts etc)?

Again, never been a fan of Mini's (sold her 850 to put towards the kit car). Fingers are not long enough to fix them and legs too long to sit in them .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m ( snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So why are you looking at getting one that's been sat in a drive for three years?

Reply to
Adrian

T i m ( snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yep, they're all fairly gutless... but make up for it by being allergic to using fuel.

The turboD is much quicker, but juicier.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Chris Bartram contains these words:

Yes, and no, in that order.

Reply to
Guy King

Well I can't question that .. 50 odd mpg all over the place. A technique I have improved with this Rover is trying to maintain the momentum .. ;-)

Ah. I did wonder thanks. I didn't know if the turo allowed it to be more efficient and hence retained the mpg etc.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

You snipped the reference to the 1970's Safari Adrian (and it's not for me remember) and this 106 isn't one of them ... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m ( snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Deliberately, because that wasn't the point I was making. DS or CX, anyway?

Would you regard a 306 as "expensive on parts and over-complicated"? It's the exact same car as a ZX, just with slightly different panels.

No, but it IS a Citroen (at least as much of one as anything wearing chevrons launched after the CX in '74)...

The AX came out in '87, had a slight restyle and ate some pies to spawn the

106, which then had a restyle (and plenty more pies) to become the Saxo & facelifted 106.

Anyway, as discussed in another subthread, the engine's the same as in your Rover...

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed, but I'm not sure if you were trying to compare a Safari sat for 3 years against this 106 sat for three years and I was suggesting theye was little comparison (irrespective of the badge), looking at what you had actually written above?

*Like*, you couldn't compare an all wood dinghy sat unprotected for 3 years against a fiberglass model in the same circumstances.

I was offering you my perception of Citroen's as of the Safari Adrian (because it's the only one I have ever looked over).

Ok ..

Ok. So, are the parts prices all the same between these Euroboxes Adrian? Like are the Seat parts prices the same as the VW ones, Toyota = Lexus etc?

And I think that's a good thing?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m ( snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, I'm ignoring the might-be-a-DS-or-a-CX completely.

No, I'm merely pointing out that you'd got "Citroens" labelled as expensive to fix, yet were about to take one on with a known list of problems and a three year lay-up.

Yes, yes, yes - and I think you're still missing my point.

Yes, if you get 'em from GSF or EuroCarParts instead of a dealer (where they may be priced differently)

Reply to
Adrian

i had a carina auto - mpg was around 45+ mpg. exceptionally economical those 'lean burn' 1.8's....

still the 106 may be worth savaging. black smoke is probably coz the coolant temp sensor has failed or a new lamda sensor required. both cheap diy fixes. running through a bottle of injector cleaner may help...

Reply to
big dom

You worry about that, but don't worry about clouds of black smoke, 'cos you think you may be able to fix it.....

Do you really think a 106 is any better.

Rover 114 != Mini.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes.

Adrian

Not the same car.....

An L-plate 106 is pre-facelift and probably lacking some of the safety features of a 2000 model.

Besides, who buys cars on the strength of an NCAP rating?

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Near as dammit.

Fripperies like windbags and pretensioners, sure. Structurally? No. Same thing.

Somebody who intends to crash, or - more likely - somebody who has recently been in a biggie...?

A neighbour of ours was in a biggie a couple of weeks ago, when she passed out at the wheel of their six-wk old Golf on a fast s/c. She hit another vehicle damn near head-on, doing about 50-60, bounced off into a van. Airlifted to hospital, released an hour or so later, with a total of one broken rib - despite having registered disabled with a VERY duff back to start with.

Can't see them buying without a damn good peruse of EuroNCAP after that...

Reply to
Adrian

Too late. Corrosion will have eaten away at the bearing face and the crank will chew up the dry white metal.

You need to change the fuel. It's not dirt - petrol/diesel loses its combustive properties over time. They reckon 3 months is the longest you can store it for.

Reply to
Conor

The thing is they never do end up costing "just a little" to get on the road.

It ends up being something every other week.

Reply to
Conor