Bloody Hilarious!

I believe it was between WWI and WWII.

Reply to
Hooch

I have enough of a clue as I ever need to get about such subjects.

Reply to
NM

WTF should anyone have to put themselves out to report a breaking of the law?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To prevent the tossers doing less and less whilst taking more and more in taxes.

Reply to
Brimstone

Hands up all those who think this attitude is exactly the reason why we are in this mess.

Reply to
MrBitsy

Taken is usually the terminology used. No doubt Erskine May will give more details. As for being given the whip, I leave to you the fantasy of Michael Howard whipping Anne Widdecombe...

Reply to
John Wright

My recollection of her speech in the Commons was that it was she who delivered the whipping.

Reply to
Brimstone

Too true

Reply to
John Wright

?The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing.?

Reply to
Mogga

There's nothing wrong with trying to understand why people do bad things - the problem is people who use that understanding not to try and stop it happening, but as an excuse to not stop it happening.

Reply to
John Rowland

I believe one neighbour was so concerned (and angry) after being near run over she called 999.

I'd say it's the police who are doing nothing.

If you're really saying you have to attend some local meeting with them - which I for one wouldn't know where or when it's held - something is very, very wrong.

Do criminals also make an appointment before committing crimes? Thinking about it that would suit the police quite nicely - they could then stay in their nice warm duty room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And what happened? Did she get a log number? Did an officer come out?

Perhaps, but does the system get better if nobody points out when it's not working right.

What's also wrong is that the process can take a while to get through and you can get hideously sidetracked by the rules and silly things you have to do to be heard. Even the people that are supposed to represent you can really let you down, but that's not a reason to give up.

It would be nice wouldn't it, but unfortately the system doesn't seem to always work straight away. Persistence is sadly the key.

Reply to
Mogga

I might put my hand up to this a bit later, but initially I would be inclined to put some effort into trying to understand why people do some of the bad things they do, and try to steer them into a better style of behaviour. If that can't be done, then the decent people have to be protected from such individuals, by whatever means.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

In message , John Wright writes

I could imagine it the other way around. Oh what a joy to watch, especially if Jeremy Paxman were the official witness.

Reply to
Clive.

Of course after this latest quad bike thing their attitude to kids on the road may be slightly changed...

Reply to
PCPaul

What do you have against investigating and treating mental illness?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Are you sure it was mental illness that was the subject, I thought he ment antisocial criminality.

Reply to
NM

A follow-up sheds some light:-

Squashme

Seems I got my threads crossed, sorry.

Reply to
NM

That was what I was wondering about when I hesitated to immediately support what Ray was saying.

If it is a genuine case of mental illness, then we should be trying to help such people. On the other hand if it is simply a matter of anti-social criminality, that needs less 'understanding' and more stern action.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS