Blue Tinted Windscreen for VW Golf GTI (05)

Ive got an 05 VW Golf GTI which comes standard spec with all round blue tinted glass. I had a stone crack my windscreen the other day and AutoGlass replaced it this morning. Unfortunately as soon as the fitter had fitted the windscreen it was obvious to both of us that it was wrong; it was clear, not tinted and the fitter agreed that it was wrong.

AutoGlass were fine about it and said they would get onto VW on Monday and source a genuine VW GTi windscreen so the colour would match. Trouble is I have phoned VW and it turns out that the blue windscreen is no longer avaliable and all GTis now come with green tinted glass.

...this has really pissed me off since it means that dispite being just over 1 year old VW cant get proper replacement windscreens for it, so its tough s##t for any one with Golf GTis.

I dont see why I should accept a substandard repair, does anyone know what my rights are in insisting that all my windows are the same colour, even if this means replacing all of the windows with the new green windows?

...if this was a body work repair then would they paint the replaced panel a different colour just because the manuafacturer didnt make that paint anymore or would it be reasonable to repaint the whole car to get a proper colour match?

Thanks

David Bevan

junk1
.

Keep stum, see what autoglass have to say, they might have one instock at another branch, or they might obtain them direct from the manufacturer.

When I had a windscreen replaced I had a tinted put in place of a clear, I had to sign allsorts to make sure Mr Fitter didn't get in trouble.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Can you still see through the windscreen?

Reply to
Tate and Lyle

It shouldn't be allowed at all to have tinted glass on the front windscreen.

I thought it had been banned a few years ago, but I imagine I was wrong if they were still supplying cars with it a year ago.

Reply to
Alex Heney

If needed, the correct VW part number is:

1K0 845 011 BC

or for vehicles with Rain Sensor:

1K0 845 011 BD £135 inc Vat

If you wish to have the part verified, email me your VIN Number

Reply to
A C

The OP tells us they're still supplying cars with it now, the only difference being that VW have changed the colour to green.

Joe Lee

Reply to
Joe Lee

Still legal, there's just a limit on how much tint.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Its with rain sensor, all GTis are.

.=2E.are you saying that you have a blue windscreen in stock?

Thanks

David Bevan

junk1

Yes, I can still see through it, but thats not the point, it doesnt match the rest of the car. Its an aesthetic thing, not a fuctional thing.

...its like if a damaged panel was replaced with one that was a different colour then the repair would be rejected.

David Bevan

junk1

Why?

If that was the case, more than 50% of vehicles on the road would be illegal from new!

Windscreen must allow 75% light transmission, Front sidewindows 70%.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Don't you now have to declare that you are a knob and understand the stupidity of the things when you buy them now?

Reply to
Pete

Not all MK5 GTi's have a rain sensor otherwise VW wouldn't have 3 types of windscreen with a blue tint for the GTi / R32.

I will check on Monday to see if its in stock at the factory but it is still a current part for the GTi & R32.

Reply to
A C

You're a bit stuffed then, over 50% of new vehicles have a front window tint:-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

...ok, thanks very much. I wasnt given an option of rain sensor when I bought my car, it just came with it maybe it is now an optional thing.

I dont want to sound like im stating the obvious, but it its possible to order the current GTi windscreen with a tint, but the crucial thing is that the current GTi is now supplied with a green, not a blue tint. I obviously need blue to match the other windows.

Thanks

David Bevan

junk1

Alex Heney ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Virtually every car has tinted glass fitted from standard to all windows, including the windscreen - and has since probably the late 70s...

Windscreens can't be tinted heavier than 75% Visible Light Transmission, and front door windows 70%.

Reply to
Adrian

A C ( snipped-for-privacy@abbeycrossSPAM.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

UK spec may differ from other countries...

Reply to
Adrian

I should imagine that you can have any repair to any standard you require. Obviously you'll have to pay the bill but since it's that important to you, you'll consider this money well spent?

I think that perhaps you're asking whether the insurance company can be compelled to meet the cost though?

In that case, I'd have to hypothesise that you haven't a cat in hell's chance. The policy will be littered with provisos and qualifications (and particularly with price caps for windscreens), based upon my own experiences as a driver.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Because it reduces the amount of light getting through, on a permanent, non-adjustable basis.

If it were like "reactive" sunglasses, it might be OK.

But when you are driving in the dark, you really should not have the amount of light getting through cut down measurably at all, IMO.

Reply to
Alex Heney

You're out of luck if you want a new car then.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In article , Steve Walker writes

I had a Chrysler Neon rear window smashed by the local intelligencia, it was tinted and my insurance paid up, I did have to pay the first £60 though and it wasn't an option but standard fitting.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Swift