Brake discs

Yes, whilst I don't wear a hat, I am not hard on a car, can't remember the last time I had to change any brake pads, when I buy a vehicle I make sure they have a bit of meat on them and they invariably last as long as I keep the motor,( of course I am talking about asbestos based pads, seems to be that the wear problem on discs/pads is more prevalent on new vehicles )

Reply to
Steptoe

You are quite right of course. I follow the occasional person travelling at quite moderate speed who seem to jump between accelerator and brake almost continually while I just cruise along behind in my automatic jumbo Cruiser hardly touching either and certainly not the brake for mile after mile even though engine breaking is negligible. The cruiser is in fact only on its second set of pads now approaching 95000 miles of hilly West Wales and has quite a bit of pad life left yet. I know this because the wheels were rotated front to back less than an hour ago so that the second set of tyres wear evenly and last up to 100,000 miles.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Pad dust is a problem on many new vehicles. My Range Rover is a pig as was the X5 and ML. Strangely the current pads on the Toyota are fairly dust free.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

What happened to 'acceleration sense' and using engine braking (not severe) to keep the speed at a sensible level without braking?

Anyway, with all these hybrids coming along there are proposals to have 'deceleration lights' not 'brake lights' so regenerative braking etc. still show a light. Will solve engine braking too - if you are slowing more than a smallish amount, the lights come on.

Reply to
PC Paul

You may well ask. It appears to be a mystery to some here. Their ignorance is tough on their wallets for sure.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The message from "Dave Baker" contains these words:

To the car behind, of course! Brake lights are like any other signals, and should be used when appropriate to "help and inform other road users".

Reply to
Guy King

Not in my vehicles it's not. My VW Transporter still has lots of original pad left at 140,000 miles.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Don't the latest BMWs do this already?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Cos your lifes easier if the f****it behind doesn't run into you.

Reply to
Duncanwood

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

It's still taught. As someone said up there ^ somewhere, there's a middle way between driving up to something and braking hard, and using engine braking - it's called "sensible".

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Duncanwood contains these words:

Quite. One of the things I used to teach learners was that in the end, it doesn't matter how much it was your right of way if you have to spend an hour waiting for a towtruck.

Reply to
Guy King

But try telling that to the bus drivers round here...

Reply to
Carl Bowman

The message from "Carl Bowman" contains these words:

Last time I used a bus I had sharp words with the driver about the quality of the ride for the passengers, one of whom had fallen over when he took a corner too fast. He didn't seem bothered. Next time I'll have a chat with the bus company.

Reply to
Guy King

Last time I used a bus, the fare was 6d! (Yes, really).

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Guy King Jan 13, 12:48 pm show options

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance From: Guy King - Find messages by this author Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:48:08 GMT Local: Fri, Jan 13 2006 12:48 pm Subject: Re: Brake discs Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

The message from "Carl Bowman" contains these words:

Last time I used a bus I had sharp words with the driver about the quality of the ride for the passengers, one of whom had fallen over when he took a corner too fast. He didn't seem bothered. Next time I'll have

a chat with the bus company.

Reply to
pyruse

A BMW with some sort of indicator of the driver's intentions? What's the world coming to?

Reply to
Carl Bowman

The message from "Carl Bowman" contains these words:

It'd have to be psychic. Even the drivers don't usually know what they're going to do.

Reply to
Guy King

They start to squeak as the disc distorts due to thiness and gets high/ low spots on it. Replace them or the whole break assembly will break up and can lock up your wheels.

Reply to
Hirsty's

If the discs are excessively worn, they will fail.

Reply to
SimonJ

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tim S Kemp" saying something like:

I beg to differ, old fruit. Sure, there's a school of thought that hold with not using engine braking to prolong the life of the gearbox, but that's largely bollocks, imo.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon