Breaking Radio

Hi Yall,

I got an old Clarion from my 1994 Nissan Primera... Can't really tell what version it is... but alas, its starting to break apart, she cannot handle much more.

Sometimes I can be driving along, and there will be no sound, and there's no illumination on the front panel, though the LCD screen remains with the counter from the CD Changer still showing...

A heavy slap on the dashboard usually fixes the problem, which leads me to believe some kind of loose connection, but everything is fixed solidly in the back, so maybe something in the radio itself?

The other bizarre electrical problem I have, I get no accessories, ie, radio, wipers, heater etc, but if I jump around in the car, run over a big pot hole, or brake suddenly (which may explain my failed drive shaft) everything kicks in!

Or if I switch the engine off back to number one, everything returns then too. Until I try restarting the car, when I get no accessories again.

This has perplexed me for a long long time.

Any ideas?

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

--------------

Simon, might seem a strange answer to you and not the one you are looking for, but if it has bothered you for so long, why have you not taken it into the local auto electrician for him to sort out for you?

John

For very low APR loans.

Reply to
John

I'll try replying to the newsgroup this time. Oops.

The downing of the electrical accessories (ie, loss of fan/heater, electric windows, radio and wipers), has been no major biggie. Sure its annoying, and something I'd like to get fixed, but the electrics usually come back in about 10 seconds after driving over a deep pot-hole, or if I sharply brake. Hmm, maybe that's why my driveshaft broke.

The radio right now is of more concern since I love my music in the car, and its very off putting when the sound cuts out and Im slapping dashboards trying to get things fixed.

In both instances however, I hope that it may be a common occurence, or something other people have seen and can offer a little advice on what to look at first. Im a dab hand with a bit of solder and stripping insulation from wire using my teeth - fitted a car alarm like that.

Or things like the fan on the radiator, we all know, if you only get a high power fan, its because the resistor pack is blown. So Im hoping there may be some relay or resistor or something that I can scrutinise.

Otherwise, Im with you, I'll take it to an auto-electrician. Just a problem trying to find one I can trust.

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

You gotta love these youngsters! Not bothered about the lack of wipers but can't do without the toonz :-)

Reply to
PM

Sounds very much like an earth problem, which are about 90% of the probs with car electrics. You need to check the earth strap from battery to body and trace the earths relevent to the circuits involved.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Yep, I'd go for earthing.

I had a problem with the wife's Vitara which would only let the horn work when the ignition was turned off! Turns out to be a 1inch length of wire which bridges a rubber coupler on the steering column in the engine bay. The wire was broken thus no earth (until the ignition was switched off which made another path).

Bugger!

Reply to
Mark