Buying a car that's had a personalised number plate?

Evenin' all.

Well, after much hunting around, I have finally found my Ford Scorpio Ultima. I'm unsure about an issue with the number plate, though.

The chap that I'm buying the car from has had a personalised number plate on the car for the last four years. Naturally, he wants to fit this plate to his new 'Jag' !

The question is, when the DVLA transfers his registration to the new car, will the Scorpio 'revert' to its original registration number? Or will the DVLA allocate a new registration number, in which case, all the original documentation, including the Ford Dealership receipt, previous MOT's, Ford owners' pack etc... all become invalidated?

I would like to think that the original registration number would return to the car.. but I'm not sure.

Can anyone shed any light? FWIW, I need to know the registration number, so that I can do an HPI check !!

Regards

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

It'll get issued a new number. You'll get adequate documentation to keep any future buyer happy. A HPI check will also reveal a registration plate change and when it happened.Your local DVLA office will be able to answer further questions.

Reply to
Conor

I've taken personalised plates off two cars, and both have recieved the original numbers back, once I asked, as all the windows were etched, and the second time it just happened that way. From my conversation the first time with the DVLA, I was old that as long as there wasn't a problem with the old plate, it was the easiest way for them.

No, it won't always get a new number plate.

I was in the same situation back in May & the original number plates were re-issued to the car. The bloke I bought it off showed me the originals when I went to look at it & they're now on my car.

DVLA will usually re-issue the original plates if they're still available, but his is not guaranteed.

By the way, it will take 2 - 3 weeks to transfer them & re-issue a new road tax disc.

Reply to
Ken

Did they all become invalid when he put the personalised number plate on it? Think not.

If the car had a number originally it will get it back. If they have sold the number you can't get it back, a number will be issued. If the personal plate was put on the car from new it won't have an original number and a number will be issued.

Peter Hill

Not necessarily. I had the original number reissued when I applied to get rid of the cheapy looking NI "private" plate my car had on when I got it. This only happened this week, so I presume it's still current :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Assuming the Scorpio was already registered when the personal plate was fitted, it almost certainly will get its original number back - this has happened to me twice. So it's worth keeping the original plates when you do a transfer. ;-)

If the original number was special in some way, it's just possible the DVLA have sold it, but not very likely.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hmm.. the original number was R79 EVX. Doesn't seem terribly special to me - I shall ring the DVLA tomorrow, as I'd like the car to have its original numberplate back if possible.

Thanks guys

Regards

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

I have just bought a car which had a private plate, it has its original now. The HPI check does not show a transfer. When the car was delivered it had a different plate front and back, as it was pouring with rain I only gave the car a quick look over and a long test drive, so I didn't notice for a while ! Since then I have worried whether there is something dodgy about it, but everything seems to check out ok.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Not my experience, or the experience of others I know who have done the same thing - the original number is invariably re-issued unless there's a reason not to. It doesn't make sense to issue a different number if you think about it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I think this is one of those areas where there's no rhyme or reason. My car had a private plate at some point in its life and the original service book/MOTs shows a different plate to the one it sports now.

Reply to
Scott M

Was the original plate perhaps saleable in its own right?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I've just bought that

-- Ronald Thomas Gevix

Sorry couldn't help that :)))

Or even a personal plate that was put on from new? Like the car has had two personal plates and never had a non-cherished number.

JCB5 turns up round here from time to time (about 15 miles from JCB factory). It's been on about 5 different cars in 14 years.

Watch your back if you see B16 GAY! Claims he's BIG round Watford/Luton.

Peter Hill

Nope, it was a standard plate (L 3number 3letter) and didn't leap out in any way as being something you'd pay money for.

A4 PAD and A3 PAD are on a local stationer's delivery vans.

Reply to
Scott M

Heh heh - that's the sort of personal plate I like.

Reply to
Dave Plowman