A bit OT - Personalised Reg Plate

I am about to 'inherit' a car which has a personalised reg plate. Is there any requirement to relinquish the reg number? I don't really want it - but feel I should hold it for a while if it is easy to do so. Will it just be a case of completing the usual change of owner bits on the registration document?

The owner is giving up driving.

Reply to
John

"John" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No. If the ex-keeper doesn't transfer the plate off the car before the V5 goes to Swansea for the change of keeper, then the plate stays with the car.

You can then either sell it separately or leave it on the car if/when you sell it.

Yes.

Reply to
Adrian

If it's a NI 'council vanity plate' i.e. MIW or MUI or even worse GAZ/BAZ/DAZ/MBZ then it's highly likely to actually devalue the car.

Reply to
Pete M

If it was the one I saw in a local supermarket on a Hummer I'd sell it on quick: B16 CUN

Reply to
Gordon H

Adrian C

Its easier to keep it - the car 'owns' the plate, you will have to pay to put a normal plate on it. It may be worth something to sell on, or worth nothing.

Reply to
TAW

I've just wasted 10 minutes of my life hoping to find one of his comments even slightly amusing. A whole website dedicated to slagging people off for having private plates and he blatantly missed the joke with "10 2 1 ON" - if that doesn't belong to a bookie...

Reply to
Pete M

Along with "words that aren't in the dictionary", I've not seen many surnames in the dictionary

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Theres one on there where an Irish plate has been amended - would you break English law having poor character/space definition on a foreign plate - or is Irish/English interchangeable?

Reply to
TAW

TAW gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Just one?

It's a "British plate". Northern Ireland has a separate registration authority, but their plates can be transferred to Swansea. The same rules apply...

Reply to
Adrian

OK, got another 10 minutes?

:-p

Reply to
Adrian C

Thus spake Gordon H (Gordon snipped-for-privacy@g3snx.demon.co.uk.invalid) unto the assembled multitudes:

That wouldn't have been Chris Eubank's Hummer, would it?

Reply to
A.Clews

In message , snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk writes

It was a few years ago.. I think it might have been a Hummer, (big black tank with dark windows), parked on the double yellows in front of the store doors. The guy who strutted the few yards to the entrance wasn't Chris Eubank, he was huge. You'd have to be with that plate...

Reply to
Gordon H

multitudes:

My Niece has a friend whose dad owns B16 GAY (and he is).

I saw a personal plate on a Vivrao van last week.

I've got 799VET which could sell a treat if it was transferable. And the other car is 977 which makes it look like I've some sort of number fetish.

Reply to
Peter Hill

In message , Peter Hill writes

I don't tell anyone my licence plate , I use my previous ones as passwords, easy for *me* to remember, and a mixture of letters and digits. When I told my daughter that, she started running through a few she remembered...

8-(
Reply to
Gordon H

Somewhere, I've got a pic of a car I spotted -

POO 2 LOO

wtf that was about, who knows - portaloo seller?

Reply to
TAW

TAW gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Car or van?

My money's on Pimlico Plumbers.

Reply to
Adrian

I haven't looked at it for a while, but I seem to remember a silver estate car, but guess it might have been a silver van.

Long way from Pimlico tho, somewhere in the Midlands I think.

Reply to
Taw