C280 Mercedes or 525 SE BMW

Time to get rid of my old workhorse 240 Volvo. I'm considering either a BMW 5 SERIES 2.5I SE PETROL MANUAL or a MERCEDES C CLASS 2.8 PETROL MANUAL ELEGANCE as potential replacements. Both are saloons, the same age ('95), almost identically priced and will cost a similar amount to insure.

I favour the BMW, but before I make a final decision and hear "What did you want to go and buy one of those for", I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of either model's strengths or weaknesses.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ian Edwards

Metric tyres on myBMW 525iSE auto (E34 N reg1996) cost a fortune £130 - £160 each air con the car takes almost twice the amount to fill with air con fluid as an average car . Drives like a dream on motorway ( 70mph at

2000 rpm) is effortless, around town drinks allot of fuel. !
Reply to
Bhup

The BMW should be a fair bit cheaper than the Merc unless the Merc is a dog. Noone can advise you as to which is the best for your style of driving apart from yourself. Take both for a *good* test drive (50miles) taking in A & B roads and a bit of motorway if possible. If you are spending this amount of cash, the sellers should have no probelm with this. If they do, just walk away. There's loads more out there. Also have a look at

and
for further info.Cheers, JB

PS: for what its worth, I'd take the Beemer but do check prices first.

Reply to
JB

When I worked in a dealership I had the privilege to drive both BMW and Merc. I have worked for myself for the past 12 years and I always drove a Merc since..... this is based on personal preference...... They seem to drive differently than anything else... built to last forever....the C280 is a fine car and I know you would be pleased with it..... Unless you are going to tow with it the Auto transmission is beautiful in them... but obviously the decision is ultimately yours......just my two pence worth...good luck

Reply to
JK

The BMW was built at a time when BMW were still producing quality built driver's cars.

The Mercedes C-Class was the start of the rot for Mercedes. Horribly cheap build quility, and not in the same league as the BMW as a driver's car.

Reply to
SteveH

What wheels have you got? To the best of my knowledge, BMW stopped using metric tyres in the '80s. My last 525 E34 and my current E39 528 both use imperial sizes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I thought my brother had one of the last of the TRX alloy models - a

1989 520i.
Reply to
SteveH

In news:rWSjc.88$xm2.54@newsfe1-win, Ian Edwards decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I'd go for the C280 if it's well optioned. I've had some bloody awful experiences with BMWs and their dealers, and some fantastic ones with Mercedes. Besides, I'm not a big fan of the 5 series. The V8 ones have a magnificent engine, but they don't handle as well, and the lesser 5s, such as the 520 and 525 just feel a bit too underpowered for my liking.

The C280 is likely to last longer, the 280 engine goes well in them, and apart from the bloody stupid foot operated park brake (really daft in a manual) and the heavy throttle pedal, I prefer just about everything about the C class. Don't handle as enthusiastically as the 5, but once you get the hang of them they do fly!

I'd not have a 5 series again unless it was the V8 M5, or the E28 M5.

Reply to
Pete M

The E34 won't disappoint. It's also IMHO the best looking BMW saloon ever. It's very economical for its size - you'll easily see mid '30s at legal speeds on a motorway. Parts from the likes of Eurocarparts are quite reasonable. My only complaint was that it's pretty tight for room inside and has a small boot. The next model, the E39, is much better in this respect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Did you have a non VANOS model? My 525 24 valve non VANOS was sluggish at low revs but flew when it got going. And it was an auto.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In news: snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk, Dave Plowman decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Tried both, the vanos one was better, but still just not /quite/ enough to back up all the "ultimate driving machine" guff. 530i was a decent compromise, the 535i was rather enjoyable, and the 540i was a giggle, but the thing about BMWs is unless they're the M model they just feel disappointing, as if they're hiding something. All the promise of a decent drive, but without actually ever delivering it. Bloody frustrating.

At least with the Merc you don't expect much and you get more and more satisfaction the longer you drive 'em.

Reply to
Pete M

I'd say that 99% of the drivers in the UK would find the performance of a

525 more than adequate. And it's very economical as well at cruise - aided by the very high gearing. Of course, it depends on what you're used to.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

Well, I bought the Beemer today and I pick it up next week - can't wait.

Thanks to everybody who replied.

Reply to
Ian Edwards

Good choice! I don't think you'll be disppointed.

Have fun (especially above 4k rpm!)

JB

Reply to
JB