Cambelt cost ?

Is £250 a reasonable cost for the cost of replacing a cambelt, idler, tensioner on a 04 1.8 ford focus petrol. Also includes fitting a supplied aux belt.

That prices includes vat and genuine ford cambelt kit, sadly the idler does not come in the cambelt kit from ford you have to order it seperately.

Just wondering what you think of the price ?

Reply to
Matthews

Sounds decent to me; they are not the easiest to do.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

good price, but you must replace the idler. if you don't then you may as well not bother with the cambelt since it is the idler that fails first.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

good price, but you must replace the idler. if you don't then you may as well not bother with the cambelt since it is the idler that fails first.

Yeah he ordered the idler as well. He said on the on the focus the tension and or idler go its the same level as damage as the cambelt going. He said he has never had one in with a failed belt just the tensioners seem common. Apartantly the belts are really thick and well made.

I geuss I'll sleep well its been done :)

Reply to
Matthews

.....or get one of these cars that only have camchains

I don't think it's really acceptable to use a belt that needs changing (60k?) or fretting about and possibly writing off the engine and maybe even the car ....although I think some Ford engines pistons don't hit the valves when it breaks

good price, but you must replace the idler. if you don't then you may as well not bother with the cambelt since it is the idler that fails first.

Yeah he ordered the idler as well. He said on the on the focus the tension and or idler go its the same level as damage as the cambelt going. He said he has never had one in with a failed belt just the tensioners seem common. Apartantly the belts are really thick and well made.

I geuss I'll sleep well its been done :)

Reply to
Bluefrog

the belt on the car in question is every 100k miles or ten years, so not too often, later models are 120k. Replacing camchains is always more expensive than a belt. Virtually every engine by all the major makes nowadays will bend the valves if the belt or chain goes. Some Ford engines from the 70s and early 80s were ok valve wise if the belt went, but not all.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mk1 / Mk2 MX5 engines are non-interference, which is a relief after years of running stuff that's super-critical on cambelt intervals.

Reply to
SteveH

I think chains wear out if oil changes are neglected but there doesn't seem to be a replacement interval - Nissan/Toyota say it will last the 'life of the engine' (200+k miles?) This puts it into line with internal components of a modern engine. So if you are going to skip oil changes get a belt but then you may skip the belt change if you're that way inclined!

Bluefrog wrote:

the belt on the car in question is every 100k miles or ten years, so not too often, later models are 120k. Replacing camchains is always more expensive than a belt. Virtually every engine by all the major makes nowadays will bend the valves if the belt or chain goes. Some Ford engines from the 70s and early 80s were ok valve wise if the belt went, but not all.

Reply to
bluefrog

On Fri, 18 May 2012 21:37:02 +0100, SteveH ventured forth with :

Citroen 2.0HDi is an interference engine, but doesn't bend valves. It breaks a couple of inexpensive rockers which the head doesn't need to come off to replace. Whether this is designed in, or pure luck, I don't know. I suspect the latter..

Reply to
Mike P

The same with transit diesels

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Some chains only last around 100k, somewhat less than the best belt designs. There are also other failure modes for chain systems. Tensioner failure, and sprocket breakup are two possibilities.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

And don't some engines (LR?) have collapsible push-rods or such that 'give' if a valve becomes hard to move (or wants to move back on it's own) for some reason (like being pushed by a piston crown)? Or maybe it was the rockers.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m