car insurance on a scrapped car?

DOCE?

That's an acronym I'm not familiar with, and can't find a reference on Google.

Well I can only find one reference to that statement on Google, and that is from a thread on the Pistonheads site. That appears to be somebody quoting from an actual policy, but it's not something I can recall seeing in any policy I have had (it most certainly is not in my current policy).

But even then, that does not say that there must also be "normal" insurance in place on that car.

I would certainly agree that it is not *intended* to be for regular use, but unless they say so on the certificate, then you *are* covered in that circumstance.

Now that is the main point of relevance to the OP.

Reply to
Alex Heney

Yes you can.

The vehicle may physically be scrapped, but on paper it can still exist, so long as you don't declare it as scrapped.

As said before, it's a pretty common thing to do if you want to retain some NCB if you give up driving for a year or two. I wish I'd done it on my bikes when I gave them up for a couple of years, would have saved me a fortune when I went back to them :-(

Reply to
SteveH

And even that is crap. You can insure a vehicle from any place on EU as long as you have a branch on the country of registration of that car. note that this only apply to car insurance. Other insurances do not require the local branch to be available on the residence country.

So for example I could have a Irish car insured by Portuguese AXA as they have branches on Ireland. Whethe the insurance company is willing to do it is another issue. Legally they can (European Law, not necessaraly your local country law, but the EU one takes precedence).

Frederico Fonseca ema il: frederico_fonseca at syssoft-int.com

Reply to
Frederico Fonseca

From this example and your name, I'm assuming you're Portuguese......

If this is the case - what's the easiest way to learn the language?

We're giving serious thought to quitting the UK - can speak a little French, so learning French properly and moving there is one possibility, but I'd much prefer to move to Portugal.

How hard would it be to learn the language to such an extent that I can do my job (supermarket manager) over there?

Reply to
SteveH

Portuguese and French are very similar on grammatical aspects, but pronunciation is the hardest, as well as spelling. Both are based on Latin, and this make many things similar, so knowing one helps on the other. If you knew Spanish it would be easier.

Both are hard to learn for a English person, and most English people I know that also speak Portuguese have great difficulty with pronouncing words correctly, as well as building the phrases correctly (order of words).

As you are on the UK you may be able to get near to a Portuguese Community, and try and speak with them, but you still need to go to some type of course before that.

Whatever you do it won't be easy unless you are very good with languages.

As for getting work in Portugal at the moment I would not even bother considering it unless you have a very special skill, which Supermarket manager isn't unless you open your own.

Frederico Fonseca ema il: frederico_fonseca at syssoft-int.com

Reply to
Frederico Fonseca

Yeah, I have noticed that a reasonable knowledge of French helps to understand written Portuguese.

IMHO, Portuguese seems to be a bit of a Greek / Spanish / French hybrid..... which makes it incredibly hard to pick up from listening to people!

It's the pronouncing of words I have the problem with - phrases and sentences aren't too bad if you already speak (ish, anyway) a couple of other European languages.

No Portuguese in Cardiff from what I know...... apart from the singular restaurant.

I did quite well with my languages at school, but that's well over 10 years ago now. Erk!

Oh, I don't know about that.... Ecomarche and Intermarche are looking for people, and experience of the more developed retail market in the UK can only help...... it's probably just a dream, but it's one I really want to look into. I'm sick to death of the UK.

Reply to
SteveH

If the policy wording does not clearly exclude an otherwise 'reasonable' interpretation then it stands in contract until you seek 'clarification' when, of course, they will rapidly modify the contract by tightening it up.

To go back to the original question, some years ago I was advised by my broker to run two policies. If I have a claim on one I 'rest' it by providing simple and cheap 'lay up' cover on one of two pre-SORN vehicles that are mouldering gently in a foreign field. Before some pedant starts up - they are in the EU and most places in the EU allow a vehicle to be maintained on GB plates so long as they pass local safety tests. Several countries happily allow local insurers to insure foreign registered cars also so long as they have an MoT or a local equivalent - Not all countries maintain thousands of bureaucrats interpreting EU directives in the harshest possible way then enforcing every petty detail . . . It's a major industry here more's the pity!

Anyway (side rant over) these vehicles or a small motorcycle rusting at the back of the garage slowly and cheaply restore my no claims bonus on the resting policy. Yes, some companies allow no-claims bonus to accrue on a motorcycle or moped so long as the policy was originally a car policy it is sometimes possible to switch. No good trying with the average 'direct' you need a good broker who knows the market.

Cheers, Lurch

Reply to
Lurch

FWIW, I have a degree in linguistics and I speak five languages, but being able to read written Portuguese is significantly different from understanding the spoken language, although its a start.

One of the languages I speak is Spanish, which is a significant benefit in being able to read and understand Portuguese. Its of no practical benefit, however, in understanding the spoken language, which, to the average listener, is often stated as sounding more like Russian than a romance language. The difference is somewhat akin to someone who speaks German trying to understand spoken, rather than written, Dutch. This obviously makes learning to speak Portuguese significantly harder than learning to write it, for example.

Gramatically, Spanish and Portuguese are amongst the easiest languages to learn for a non native speaker, given their regularity of syntax although word order is less important in Spanish, and very similar to English in many cases, than in Portuguese.

Having lived and worked across Europe, in many different countries, I would suggest that in an environment such as supermarket management, indeed any management role, you should try to be as proficient as possible in the language *before* going there, unless you want to rely on interpreters all the time. This is not ideal. Some professions allow for the possibility of greater "in situ" learning, but management roles require a certain level of credibility and gravitas from day one that realistically can't be achieved by someone that doesn't know much about the nuances of the language. When Bobby Robson, for example, became manager of Sporting Lisbon in Portugal, and later Barcelona, without a word of Spanish, Portuguese or indeed Catalan, he had to enlist the services of an interpreter (by the name of Jose Mourinho, the current manager of Chelsea, who learnt his footballing knowledge from acting as Robson's intreperter, rather than vice versa) to ensure he got his message across to the players from the start. You'll notice that the most successful British footballers, for example, overseas are the ones that learnt the language quickly (Lineker, Platt, et al) whilst the comparative failures didn't (Gazza, Rush et al)

As it happens, (and much as I love Portugal, Frederico may not thank me for saying this) you'd find easier to learn Spanish, and settle in Spain, than to learn Portuguese and settle in Portugal. Whether the jobs you seek are available in Spain is a different issue, and one I don't know enough about these days

Brian

Reply to
bigbrian

Oh God, not this one again! You are covered to drive any other car, regardless of any other policy of insurance existing or not. You could not make any claim on the other policy, so why does it make any difference if another policy exists? The only stipulation is that you must not be the keeper or main user of the other car.

No, it is intended to cover you for driving anpother car, regardless of the state of your own car. It does not need to be a test drive, or a loan car, in other words if you wanted to borrow your mates car to go for a drive, you could.

Did anyone say you could?

Reply to
SimonJ

I think 'fraud' may be the word we are looking for here.

Reply to
SimonJ

Just wondering how SORN can be a rip off, when it costs nothing? (other than the price of a stamp)

Reply to
SimonJ

snip

Agreed.

You may be perfectly correct here. Can't say for experience which country would be easier to settle with.

As for work it may be easier in Spain at the moment, as Portugal has a very bad work market at the moment, hence what I said on my previous post. I would say that even if Steve knew Portuguese already it would still be very hard for him to get the position he wishes. You never know for sure anyway.

Frederico Fonseca ema il: frederico_fonseca at syssoft-int.com

Reply to
Frederico Fonseca

It 'isn't unknown' for someone to chuck a brick through a shop window, and steal a telly. Does this make it legal?

Reply to
SimonJ

My car failed it;s MOT, but I have another (old banger!) car MOT'd and Taxed. I phoned the insurance co and they changed my insurance to it so I could use it temporarily.

I had to take the MOT failure into town to get the blowing exhaust fixed and forget to change insurance back over (aside of the fact it was technically unroadworthy and therefore insurance not valid). I phoned the insurance co on my mobile to get it changed over anyway and the girl told me no need I'm covered for any vehicle anyway. I asked if she was sure, she said yes. I said even if they are both owned/kept by me and she said it didn't matter.

I don't believe her mind, as soon as I find the T&c's i'm going to have a good read....

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Round, like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel Simon.

My view now is that some policies require it, others don't - I've had both. Check with your insurer.

Reply to
Conor

Its about to have a charge slapped on it.

Reply to
Conor

SimonJ wrote: ||| Then register it as SORN (Statutory Offroad Ripoff ||| Tax) || || Just wondering how SORN can be a rip off, when it costs nothing? || (other than the price of a stamp)

It doesn't even cost a stamp, it can be done with a bar code reader at the PO as was done in my case. It still qualifies as a rip-off though because it seeks to generate an income stream from the forgetful, otherwise law biding motorist. Of course if you had no respect for the law whatsoever and drove unregistered, untaxed, uninsured cars for your whole lifetime then no one would send you demands for money.

Reply to
Rob

Really? How much is proposed?

Reply to
deadmail

In article , sPoNiX writes

So, if the car is "unroadworthy" for any reason -- such as the brakes having failed or the light above the rear number plate having blown -- you believe that the insurance is no longer valid?

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

Was discussed in here I think. =A319 comes to mind.

--=20 Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Reply to
Conor