car insurance on a scrapped car?

In article , sPoNiX writes

But *who* or *what* needs to be insured [1] to comply with the law -- the driver or the vehicle?

[1] Assuming, that is, the driver hasn't lodged a security with the Paymaster General of the Supreme Court...
Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

sPoNiX ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And that's bollocks, too.

Most half-decent insurers can and will insure a car - at least short term - on the chassis number or on a foreign plate.

When you register an import, you have to produce proof of UK insurance. If you couldn't insure it before it were registered, that'd be a bit of a serious catch-22.

Reply to
Adrian

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, that's the replacement V5 charge that's already in.

They're threatening around a fiver for SORN.

Reply to
Adrian

The AA at Dover docks will insure any car to meet minimum UK requirements. 'Q' plates are only needed if the car has none, or if the ones it has do not bear ordinary numerals (i.e., are in Arabic, from an Arab country).

Reply to
Sufaud

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Not just SORN - all vehicles.

Reply to
Guy King

Sufaud ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm not thinking about tourist entry - I'm thinking about an import.

As for Q-plates on tourist cars... Have you been round London any time in the last umpteen years? Many, many cars on Arabic plates. Every other Cayenne/Roller-style plutobarge round the "better" areas.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

What's a Cayenne?

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Seriously?

Adrian

I'm certain you'll find that the clause allowing a policyholder to drive another car, only applies to cas you do not own, are not the keeper of etc. A classic case of why you should treat what you're told by those on the cutomer support desks of insurance Co's, with caution. Would she have held her hand up if you'd been prosecuted for driving without insurance? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Oh. Not pretty, is it.

Reply to
Guy King

Oh dear...

A blown bulb doesn't make it unroadworthy but dicked brakes do.

Reply to
Conor

Try getting an MOT with a blown brake light bulb. Or, for that matter, dicked (sic) brakes.

Same story, car is unroadworthy.

Reply to
Donkey Kong

£4.50.

But it is not just for SORN.It is an "administrative charge" by the DVLA for processing either a road tax or SORN application.

Reply to
Alex Heney

No it doesn't.

You get the reminder for road tax, with LOTS of information included that you MUST notify them if the car will be off the road, so you are not renewing tax.

You also get reminders for annual renewal of SORN.

Reply to
Alex Heney

It does in law.

Reply to
Alex Heney

Another flying pig.

All porkers are ugly cars no matter how well they handle.

Reply to
Alan G

It's a type of pepper, I think.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

: I'm certain you'll find that the clause allowing a policyholder to drive : another car, only applies to cas you do not own, are not the keeper of etc.

I had until fairly recently - about three years ago, I think - a policy which simply said that the car insured was "Any one car owned by the policyholder". In the small print, I had two weeks to tell them of a change of car.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: From a typical DOCE statement: : : "If your certificate permits you to drive someone else's car then it : should only be in the event of an emergency" : : In other words you are only covered to drive a borrowed car under : exceptional circumstances, ie. NOT as a regular vehicle and NOT : without good reason.

I have four cars insured with different insurers at the moment. I have had policies with two further insurers in the last year. Every certificate allows driving other cars. None of the policies contains anything like the above.

Define "typical".

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston