Cars that give 60-70 Mpg

Hi

Where can I find a list of cars (second hand preferred but new cars also would be handy) that give at least 60 and if possible 70miles per gallon?

Presumably all such vehicles will be disel which is fine, its what I'm after really

Many thanks

--Tom--

--Tom-- (-- snipped-for-privacy@nospamKTHX.co.yk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Find a car you want, preferably one that doesn't lose vast amounts of money and cost a fortune to service if you want to drive as cheaply as possible.

If you *really* want to drive as cheaply as possible, go nowhere near new or newish cars, and spend a grand on something unfashionable and 6-8 years old but good nick.

The difference of a penny or two per mile in fuel goes *nowhere near* the cost of depreciation and dealer maintenance on a new car purchase, especially if you're doing low mileage. If you're doing high mileage, it's even more important to choose a car that you want, like, or at least don't resent for it's own sake, rather than some impossible-in-the-real-world numbers in a brochure.

Reply to
Adrian

passat 19 turbo diesel gives 70 mpg on longer runs, however bits are very dear when they go wrong. A 1.8 diesel fiesta will give good performance and

50 plus mpg without the big bills
Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "--Tom--" contains these words:

Drive my TD Montego estate carefully and you'll get that. And as someone else points out - depreciation also costs - but if the car only costs £250 to start with it's hard to go wrong.

Reply to
Guy King

What size?

As a starter for ten, check out my Excel-format datasheet, which if you're looking at used, will be a useful starter.

Reply to
DervMan

Exactly. At that price once could simply buy a new one every month (high mileage assumed).

T.

Reply to
T.

For cheap and cheerful try the Citroen AX 1.5D.

I averaged 70mpg out of mine, and it was dirt cheap and easy to maintain.

Reply to
Doctor D

I think one of the Audi A3 1.9d's is misrepresented! It says 9.2sec 0-60 but the others with the same engine are like 12sec!!

Reply to
Carl Farrington

A year ago I picked up an absolutely mint (clockwork) Astra 1.7 diesel

for £200, two previous 'local'owners and 120,000 miles on the clock. I reckon that it returns a good 60 miles to the gallon, and with the guidance of the helpful people on this newsgroup one of the first things I did was to replace the cambelt and associated components, along with few other essentials.

It now runs very well indeed, and will cruise from Land's end to John O'Groats at a 'very good' 70 miles an hour, and hopefully it will last me another few years yet.

So if you shop around, you can still find good value for money at rock-bottom prices.

Reply to
ivan

"What Car?" magazine, perhaps...

But when one can buy very comfortable and competent diesel cars that achieve mid-50s mpg, what is the advantage of the extra 10 mpg if you're stuck in a cramped, noisy little box?

--

"The mood and temper of the public in regard to the treatment of crimeand criminals is one of the most unfailing tests of civilisation in anycountry." (Winston Churchill)

Reply to
PeterE

Sure do - on a long run sitting at just under 80 all the way, my Fiesta would do 60mpg, no worries.

My Montego TD, if you feathered it along at 70ish did over 55mpg - one run it managed 63mpg... plus when someone was annoying you by tailgating to you, a quick drop down the gears and a hard right foot was always guaranteed to make them back off :-D

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

The message from "T." contains these words:

With a bit of luck it should last three or four years.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "JackH" contains these words:

They do smoke a bit when you do that, don't they!

Reply to
Guy King

20 or so models in the 61-70 combined range. Only car listed that is higher is the Honda Insight at 83mpg
Reply to
Grant

In message , JackH writes

Yep, mine was incredibly economical. It was due in part to the high gearing though which made towing interesting, especially in hilly areas.

That was my favourite trick. You put your foot down and the car disappeared. Not into the distance but in a cloud of black smoke :)))

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Heh, that's the one.

To be fair, it could normally trounce maxed up shopping carts without too much bother, and it even handled reasonable.

And when two lanes became one, who could resist the temptation to rub shoulders with something so scabby :-D

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Just a 'little'

Pater was discussing getting something newer than the 52k from new, non-turbo Maestro I sorted him out with a while back, the last time I saw him.

Tempted?

Yes I am - I'm about to settle for a Corsa non TD, and the Maestro is much more roomy, if a bit of a pig to park unless you've arms like Arnie.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

well my 306 diesel does 60+ mpg, doing 136 miles per day, I can't believe I used to do it in a petrol car , which only did about 30.. I think the pug. engines are quite common and people claim to get ridiculously high miles out of them! Dead easy to do basic maintenance and spares should be cheap. I got a P reg one with 123k,

Simon

Reply to
SimonP

My Xantia 1.9TD does 40 around town and 60ish on a run. My wifes Pug 106

1.5xld will do a minimum 45 around town and 60+ on a run and believe me her boots are filled with lead.

And they don't break down, cost nowt to service and parts are cheap and plentiful.

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

My SEAT Ibiza TDi Sport has averaged around 53 over the last 6000 miles. The best (according to the trip computer) was just under 80 - that was driving

*very* carefully, but still keeping to the speed limits. Overtaking with the 230 whatevers of torque is fun, I get 60+ on long trips, and it'll do 130mph - not at the same time, of course...
Reply to
Robert Campbell