Cars that give 60-70 Mpg

In the real world the Honda Insect only manages about 55mpg. The 83mpg figure is acheivable in fuel consumption tests on a rolling road, where the car itself doesn't move. Once gradients and air resistance come into it then it's a different story.

I know someone who has one, TBH I think it's a waste of money. It's a two-seater with the rear taken up by batteries and when confronted with the mildly hilly country that the said person lives in it is (a) dangerously low on power and (b) constantly runs the engine flat out.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The message from "JackH" contains these words:

Plenty of PAS racks and bits at the breakers.

Reply to
Guy King

Dunno about a list, but my Citroen AX Diesel (1.5) used to do just over

60mpg.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
JNugent

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, JackH decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Indeed, I know someone who drove a knackered old C reg 1.8 Fester diseasel from Liverpool to Athens on two tanks of fuel.

Silliest fuel economy figure I've known was 118 mpg from a Citroen AX 1.5D. Cheapskate who owned it ran it on red.... some people are just *TOO* tight.

Reply to
Pete M

Reckon? Or have checked?

Reply to
DervMan

In news:xGsVc.247$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Heh, the adverts for 'em actually used to state 103 mpg as being possible... Neil used to drive from here to London at around 50mph...

Reply to
Pete M

Blimey; I'm nowhere near as bad as that! :)

Reply to
DervMan

118mpg????????!!!!

Average mpg over a long downhill journey doesn't count :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Unfortunately there's no computer controlled device for giving accurate mpg figures, only a trip on the speedo, and after owning a couple of this model Astra's, I do appreciate how very inaccurate the fuel gauges can be.

However I do know how many miles I travel, and can reasonably estimate the amount of diesel fuel used over a period of time and distance, and I would say that with steady motorway driving the 60mpg figure would be a bit on the conservative side. I will concede that driving around town will undoubtedly reduce that figure, but doesn't the same apply to all vehicles?

Reply to
ivan

Consider a Reliant Kitten, if you can find one.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

I'm looking for one of them, or a diesel Maestro.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Guys and Girls.. I have a 1.8 150BHP petrol turbo. I used to get around 28 to 30MPG. About to take my IAM test, I now get around 40MPG. Just goes to show, its not always the car, the driver has a lot to do with it.

Perry

Reply to
Perry Freeman

The message from snipped-for-privacy@spam.vlaad.co.uk (Paul Cummins) contains these words:

I happen to have a spare diesel Maestro - if you're handy with a welder it's yours!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com (Perry Freeman) contains these words:

When I ran a fleet of minibuses I could tell who'd been driving 'em from the fuel bills.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

The office is about 120 motorway miles away. Hence, I work from home. When I do go in, I tend to leave mid-morning and come back late at night. I get high 30s driving there, and low 20s driving back.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The message from Steve Walker contains these words:

Do you live to the North of where you work? It's all downhill going South - but you pay for it later climbing back up North.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

Nah; I live near Swindon, the office is in Kent. The difference is that, in the traffic, it's less stressful to stick with the flow at 60-70. Coming home, the roads are empty, the traffic ossifers are in bed, I want to be in mine, and the right foot increases in weight.

I can't say I've noticed a difference driving to or from Manchester (my family) or Scotland (SWMBO's family) but the traffic conditions are so variable that you couldn't fairly compare.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Go on, what's up with it...? And where do I need to tow it from?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

My guess would be it's rotten.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from snipped-for-privacy@spam.vlaad.co.uk (Paul Cummins) contains these words:

Tinworm - though not insurmountable. Windscreen cracked. Some interior trim missing/ damaged - and I've had the radiator, some hoses and the alternator. Telford.

Reply to
Guy King