Central Locking

Just wondered if anyone knows whether it is possible to open a Vauxhall Cavalier (M Reg) from under the bonnet. I managed to lock my keys in the boot while taking the battery off. I can still get under the bonnet and wondered if anyone new if it was possible to activate the central locking from there. The local garage was hopeless as usual.

Reply to
N Crouch

One option is to break a window to get access via the panel behind the rear seats. If it like mine, you can pull up a button and unlock a door only if you didn't "double lock" the driver's door. If you did double lock the driver's door, you would have to break a window that was big enough to crawl through (clear away the broken glass first). Check with your local scrap yard that they have a replacement window in stock first (less than £10 each).

Another option would be to attack the boot lock with a strong screwdriver. This may lead to damaging the lock so that it needs replacing. I personally would prefer to be able to open the doors and boot with the same key so I would break a window.

I don't know if there are any useful parts of the central locking system under the bonnet.

Once you get the key, have a spare cut.

DP

Phone the AA

Reply to
Mr P A Latham

Mr P A Latham waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Cavalier? You're lucky!

If you remove the trim from along the bottom of a rear side window (one of the ones that wind up and down, not a fixed one) you can hook the metal rod that locks the door through the gap. This WILL unlock the rear door. The deadlocks don't stop you doing this, and to be honest, if you've locked your keys in, you won't have put the deadlocks on anyway.

Use an old metal coathanger or a welding rod, make a u shape in one end and go fishing.

If you're any good, it'll take less than 10 minutes. You can see the rods if you peer through the gap. Try and get the one going to the door lock, the others won't help.

Reply to
Pete M

Heh. When I thought I'd locked my keys in the Ka (still not been found), the AA sent out a contractor to do it. They couldn't get to the rods inside the door as they're boxed in, so he just knocked a wedge into the top of the door and operated the lock handles with a bit of wire. At least the locksmith needed a computer and had to wait for a 10 minute timer to programme new keys. Is the Ka particularly s**te for security or are they all this easy?

Reply to
Doki

Doki waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Unless fitted with (proper) deadlocks, they're all that easy!.

Reply to
Pete M

Thought as much. The little "pip" things you push up / pull down will be harder to trip, but nowt to stop someone determined from getting in without smashing a window. I thought deadlocks would be pretty standard now.

Reply to
Doki