Cheap windscreen replacement

I'm going to need a new windscreen for my Audi 100 for the next MOT - it has a vertical crack on the passenger side that is just over 40mm long - it passed the last MOT with an advisory but that's only because I've been going to the bloke for years.

At the moment I only have TP/F/Th cover, so no windscreen cover. Can anyone recommend a supplier/fitter of windsreens (either nationwide or London area)? The value of the car is probably less than the cost of a new windscreen (a s/h one would do just as well), but it's rock solid so probably worth hanging on to.

Reply to
Terry F.

If it's not a bonded type, try a scrapyard. Our local one only charges an extra fiver to fit a screen that they're selling to you.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I'm not sure if it is bonded or not. The model year is 1986. Is there an easy way to tell?

Funnily enough, the price difference between TFT cover and comprehensive cover on this car is only a few pounds :-)

Reply to
Terry F.

Budget windscreens. Try to haggle.

Reply to
adder1969

Terry F. ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com (Terry F.)) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Old-style windscreens were mounted in a rubber seal, which'll be raised on the outside, possibly with a shiny or black metal infill strip. If it's bonded, it'll be much more flush, with a flattish plastic or rubber finisher in, possibly with joins in the corners.

Mid-80s would be the shape where they started to really boast about aerodynamics, so my guess would be bonded.

You're going to be going comp on renewal.

Reply to
Adrian

I'll have a look next time I'm at the car.

This particular model (Type 44, Avant) prides itself on its aerodymanic properties.

It's certainly a possibility! I wonder how much the insurance companies pay the windscreen companies as a percentage of the retail price.

Reply to
Terry F.

Around 60-100 for a screen fitted is what you should be able to get it down to. I've had a bonded screen in a Ka for £70, and a non-bonded one in a Golf more recently for £60 IIRC. I'd suspect as the Audi is less common the glass may be dearer.

Reply to
Doki

It's usually 60 odd quid to fit them so those are good prices. If the crack wasn't there until after you renewed with fully comp then you'd be able to claim...

Reply to
adder1969

It's usually 60 odd quid to fit them so those are good prices. If the crack wasn't there until after you renewed with fully comp then you'd be able to claim...

It would be even better if the crack didn't appear until a decent amount of time had passed after upgrading the insurance- after all, it might raise a few eyebrows if the crack appeared the day after!

Reply to
Partac

The insurance renewal is in April and the next MOT not until next February, so all kinds of things could happen in the intervening 10 months!

Reply to
Terry F.

Of course this would be happening to your new windscreen that you got fitted by a friend for cash and didn`t get a receipt for presumably?

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

No, this would happen to a windscreen that wasn't cracked before the insurance renewal and somehow managed to get cracked subsequently. Paying the £50 excess (or whatever it is) beats paying £300+ for a new windscreen.

Reply to
Terry F.

A&E Accident & Emergency based in West London are excellent.

02087513999

Al.

Reply to
Al