Cigarette lighter not working.

Hi,

I've got a '96 Mitsubishi Gallant V6 24V (UK spec).

I plugged a cheap car hoover into the cigarette lighter last week and it stopped working.

The fuse for the lighter looked OK but I changed it anyway - with no luck.

I then put the fuse for the cigarette lighter in the window wiper position and they worked fine - so the fuse is OK.

But still, the cigarette lighter doesn't work. I've tried different appliances in the cigarette lighter such as a cool box and an air pump and they also do not work. So the lighter is definatly dead.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Sonars UK

Reply to
Sonars UK

Sonars UKremove spluttered almost incoherently...:

Why worry - smoking's bad for you.

Reply to
billy_bunter

Thanks Billy Bunter,

Imagine my joy at seeing that my message had been replied to in the vain hope that a novice like me could sort the problem - only to find your rather sarcastic comment.

I agree smoking IS bad for you and that is why I don't smoke. I'm going camping for the week and as I have a young child I need to keep things like milk nice and fresh for him in a cool box. I also need it for plugging an air pump in to inflate the beds.

Regards,

Sonars UK

Reply to
Sonars UK

If you're absolutely sure you've checked the correct fuse then it might be worth replacing the socket, they only cost about £5. The metal contacts are quite flimsy. Do they look bent? With the battery disconnected you might be able to bend them back into shape so that they grip the plug properly. Check for any disconnected or melted wiring behind the socket too.

David.

Reply to
David Linley

Reading through this, I just knew that the first reply would be from some hilarious, life-and-soul tit saying "Well don't smoke then".

Si - Off to the hospital to get the cracked rib fixed.

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot spluttered almost incoherently...:

He did rather ask for it.....

Reply to
billy_bunter

My cig packet says in big letters NUIT GRAVEMENT A LA SANTE

This of course translates to in English.: 'Smoke these cigarettes, you will have a long and healthy life, and you will be hugely attractive to the opposite sex'.

-

JR

Reply to
JR

Just find the ones that say smoking causes birth defects.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot