Classic vehicles will be exempted from the MOT test

Classic vehicles will be exempted from the MOT test, Roads Minister Mike Penning announced today.

Classic and historic vehicles are often very well maintained by their owners and have a much lower accident and MOT failure rate than newer vehicles.

The current requirement to undergo an MOT test goes over and above the obligations set out in European legislation. Following a public consultation which showed high levels of support for the proposals, vehicles manufactured before 1960 will be exempted from the MOT test from 18 November 2012, reducing costs for owners.

Owners of affected vehicles will still be able to take exempt vehicles for an MOT test on a voluntary basis.

Mike Penn "We are committed to cutting out red tape which costs motorists money without providing significant overall benefits. Owners of classic cars and motorbikes tend to be enthusiasts who maintain their vehicles well - they don't need to be told to look after them, they're out there in all weathers checking the condition of the engine, tyres and bodywork.

"Owners of classic vehicles will still be legally required to ensure that they are safe and in a proper condition to be on the road but scrapping the MOT test for these vehicles will save motorists money."

Reply to
reg

I suppose it is a fixed 1960, not rolling on year by year?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Does the "donor" vehicle in a cherished registration transfer need to be taken to the local DVLA office for inspection, or is the transfer just a paper-shuffling exercise? If you now just need to show the paperwork for ownership but the car is MOT-exempt, then the big old Austin with the interesting registration dumped in the woods near me in the early 1960's just shot up in value...

Neil

Reply to
Neil McD.

Historic tax exemption was to be a rolling year when introduced by the conservatives but was stopped and fixed to 1973 when labour got in. personalty i think the MOT exemption should have been set to 1950, but it does now mean that all my motorcycles are both tax and mot exempt. but im going to miss handing the mot tester a box of matches if he really wanted to see the lights working

-
Reply to
Mark

No indication of any rolling year just like the road tax exemption.

But it seems a strange choice of year, why not 72 for the tax exempt vehicles, or just prior to 67 for fitting of front sest belts?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Excellent! Reminds me of taking a '59 Venom into Billy Faulkener's in Oxford in the late 60's. Acetylene lights could not have been any worse than the Lucas ones. His line to the mechanic who took it out for the test was "I see you're riding a *man's* bike today then".

Reply to
newshound