MOT Exemptions

Hi All,

can anyone give me a definitive list of what vehicles are exempt from the MOT?

I can't find a current form on the web that gives me this. A friend appears to think that 3-wheelers under 450kgs are, or will be made exempt. I can't for the life of me think why this might be the case...

cheers

Reply to
Mike P

look on the back of the form (to claim mot exemption. )

vehicles pre 1960 (when that goes through)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Cheers Mr C, so the answer is no, as I thought. They are not exempt.

Pity the vehicle is a 1962 car really, though I'm not concerned that it won't pass the MOT. It would have just made it easier to get it mobile again..

Reply to
Mike P

a little more info: "Class 1 - Motorcycles - With or without sidecars up to 200cc. Class 2 - All motorcycles, including class l with or without sidecars. Class 3 - 3 wheeled vehicles, not exceeding more than 450kg unladen weight. Class 4 - Cars, including motorcaravans, dual purpose vehicles, and goods vehicles not exceeding 3000kg.

If you're wondering why I've included this table, then look again at class

  1. Say for example, you've got a trike of between 450kg and 550kg (B1 licence maximum), it will need to be tested at a class 4 MOT centre. So, your trike could be classed as a motorcar, yet you're riding it under a quadracycle licence, but you need to get it tested at a car MOT centre. Got it? Good!" (copied from:
    )
Reply to
Mrcheerful

Here's the thing, we don't know how much it weighs! I'm going to have to get it checked somewhere. If it's a class 4, it will make my life a lot easier than a class 3, as my favoured MOT place can test 4 but not

3..
Reply to
Mike P

same with me and my 3 wheeler !! It is either get it to a weighbridge or stick some scales under each wheel. But whether they need a certificate to prove it, I don't know.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I think - one of the requirements when Reliant 3 wheelers were new (to meet the relevant licence conditions) was that it had to weigh less than

450kg.
Reply to
snot

Wasn't it 8 cwt? I think you had to remove the spare wheel to achieve that.

Reply to
newshound

A weighbridge ticket from your local scrapyard should do, it did for me with a truck conversion for change of taxation class etc.

Provided of course that the weighbridge has the necessary authentication or whatever it is that allows them to call it a public weighbridge.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I'll weigh it myself, if it is borderline I'll get a certificate.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I've finally been sent the list of old documentation. It's down as a class III, which is a bit of a sod. Well, it's exempt from many things because of it's age, it's just finding a class III testing station within a reasonable distance of my house in RG10..

Reply to
Mike P
[...]

Just in case you haven't found it, this:

might help.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Brilliant, thanks Chris. Looks like there's a few within 10 miles of me. Drift Road can't do them :-(

regards

Reply to
Mike P
[...]

OOI, what is the vehicle?

(I was at Drift Road last week; even they are suffering from a down-turn in business. They think that the effects of the scrappage scheme, together with the high value of scrapped cars, has taken a lot of the oldest cars out of use.)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's a DRK , produced in Merseyside ...

It's living out in Greece at the moment, belongs to my dad. He's had to give up driving though, so he's passed it on to me - I drove it out to Greece 6 years ago for his 60th birthday (19 hours from Calais to Ancona, stopping only for fuel, food and toilets). It is currently awaiting shipping back. It's fully roadworthy, I just need to get it MOT'd so I can use it again.

Reply to
Mike P

That is really bizarre, the three wheeler I have is a total one off built by an engineer locally to me, and it looks very,very similar at a casual glance. As soon as I can find or take a piccy I'll post it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

OK, I managed it:

Mrcheerful

I'll try again:

Mrcheerful

Sadly I cannot open either of the links Mr C. The first one opens, but there is no pic there, and the second says that the page could not be found...

Reply to
Mike P

sorry, I have not used picasa before today, try this link:

Mrcheerful