clutch slip, judder and clunking!

My old Astra had a new clutch in about 10,000 miles ago. Recently it started to slip on occasions - then today whenever I lifted the clutch
into 1st gear the car would judder. After it's in 1st it works fine, all shifts smooth, no slipping or noises. I also noticed today that if I hold it on the clutch on a hill for even a second, there's a pretty nasty irregular clunking sound.
Any ideas what's going on here?

Broken engine or gearbox mount.
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk) I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.
drive plate fitted the wrong way round?
--
Marty (Please sign my guestbook)

http://martytay.free.fr /

Sounds like whoever fitted the clutch has strained the diaphram springs during fitting, and now it's got weak it's slipping/disintegrating. Possibly one of the "fingers" of the diaphragm broken off.
Take it back. A new clutch should last way more than 10K miles.
Steve

Unfortunately, this seems fairly normal for vauxhalls replacement clutches. I had the clutch replaced 3 times in the same car (corsa), and they all juddered when the clutch got hot ie: after a lot of traffic use. The last one was even a Borg & Beck. It still juddered.
I don't know what causes it. Perhaps the flywheel get distored when it heats up?

Site Timeline