Cooking oil in petrol engine

Its happend

My sister has put 4 litres of cooking oil in her petrol agila.

Whats the likely outcome of all this?

her argument "its 42p a litre and a bloke on internet said you can do it"

Reply to
Big Brian

Hmmmmm. I read somewhere that you can get away with 1/4 of a tank of petrol in a diesel [1] and vice versa.

So if that were true petrol and diesel mix okish.

Maybe a mere 4 litres of vegtable oil (10 per cent) will mix ok too???

Or maybe it won't.

You sister is a bit dim, isn't she?

[1] In fact IIRC a nip of petrol in diesel helps things along nicely.
Reply to
danny_deever2000

The message from "Big Brian" contains these words:

A good slapping for being gullible?

Reply to
Guy King

Top it up with 20litres or more of petrol and it'll be fine.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I did the same, but luckily put it in the boot, rather than in the fuel filler.

On a modern engine? Not good. If she hasn't driven it, I'd say syphon it all out.

Maybe on a diesel, if it's old school, rather than common rail.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Not good. It will probably put a layer of carbon in the cylinder head. Not healthy for the CAT either. Can't believe anybody will do that nuff said.

Reply to
Johannes

I would say fill the tank to the brim with petrol. Go for maximum dilution. It'll be ok though.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I think the best thing would be to have her put down humanely now.

Reply to
DougP

Make her put unleaded in her deep fat fryer ;-)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

ROTFLMAO

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Drain it if you can. If not brim the tank and it's probably going to be fine. You will get some carbon build up but it won't be an excessive amount but I'd burn off the fuel on a motorway cruise rather than in town.

Reply to
Chris Street

In a diesel engine, yes. 'Though technically it's illegal unless you pay duty on it! Yes, you can buy it to cook with, but if you fuel a car with it the government taxes you. Where _is_ the incentive to use non-fossil fuels? In a petrol engine I suspect it will clog up the injectors a bit.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Christian McArdle" saying something like:

If it were a diesel, even CR, there would be no problem at all with a mere 4 litres.

What worries me mostly, is how his sister is so thick and survived so long. I sincerely hope she doesn't breed.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Johannes saying something like:

Not very likely,not at 4 litres in tankful.

The cat will survive just fine, I'd think.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

Till she puts it in the fridge one night and chucks the milk bottles through the back door.

Reply to
Guy King

typical of my sister .The pressure switch went a few mothas ago. Vauxhal quoted 150 quid to fix it. Was dropping oil like no tomorrow.

She then put 5 litres of oil in a day for a month til she got paid.Worked out dhe did £250 on oil plus 25 quid a fiend repaired it for . Bloddy mad she is I tell you.

I have brimme dit out , drove on A2/M2 at steady 60 for 80 mile s, brimme dout and she has just done another mway trip. Seems okish

Reply to
Big Brian

Should have gone to Tescos, it's 26p a litre

Just fill it up with petrol, when the queues go down, it'll be fine

-- r

5 litres of oil a day FFS!! I wonder how many accidents she caused.
Reply to
Ratchet

Much the same as putting diesel in a petrol car. It will need a full clean out.

She's not very bright, is she? Cooking oil will work in a diesel, but not petrol engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Johannes contains these words:

Probably not. Once they're up to running temperature a few specs of soot will vanish pretty quickly.

Reply to
Guy King