Mondeo Diesel: Starting problem

Need advice....

I have a 97 Mondeo 1.8TD which in cold weather can take anything up to

20 seconds or more to fire. Sometimes it just blatently refuses until the engines been cranked 3 or 4 times.

In warm/hot weather, the situation improves but still takes as long as

5-7 seconds. I asked a garage to look it over, and strangly they could find nothing wrong! When I got it back it started literally within seconds even though they had only pulled the electrics apart and put them back together!

Since then its got progressively worse. I serviced it at Christmas last year so I know its not the glow plugs (I replaced them all). My friend had a similar problem with an Escort TD (same engine) and spent hundreds in garages trying to find the problem and never did.

I don't intend to follow the same expensive course of action and would really welcome anyones thoughts on this

Cheers

Reply to
coldcase14

It may well be the simple things that fail. Although you changed the glowplugs, are you sure that they still work? Did you use Ford Motorcraft ones? The cheap ones can last just a few weeks...

Reply to
DervMan

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

The red "bus" cable that links the four glow plugs is a known problem area.It costs about £13 for a new one.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I'm not familiar with the ford lump, but the PSA & Renault units can suffer from perished fuel return pipes.

If you've already done the plugs, then I reckon its the small rubber hoses than come off the injectors and lead back to the pump. These harden up and leak, but in most cases they don't leak fuel out, they leak air into the system.

Once you get air in the pipes, it affects the starting becuase this '20 seconds' is the time being taken for the air to be purged out through the injectors.

I have a 1.9TD Citroen that took a bit to get going, and was always lumpy for 20-30 secs. As soon as I bought and fitted a £4 universal kit ( which comprised of ½ metre of hose and a few blank bungs ), then the prob disappeared.

HTH

Reply to
Tox O'Grady

Spray some easy start in it. Did it fire straight up? If so, there's a heating problem, glow plugs or bus cable.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Try