Corsa Steering Problem

I have recently bought a 98 Corsa 1.4 and I am having a few problems with the steering;

1) If you let go of the wheel it veers to the left(not a lot but its noticible-not just on cambered roads) 2) As you turn the steering wheel it feels lumpy turning to the left but not to the right. 3) The car feels like it randomly changes direction- generally feels unstable.

Took the car to a garage and he said that he agreed with my symptoms but wasnt sure what was causing it. He sugested having a Geometry Check done which I will be having done tomorrow. It was also noted that the track rod ends had quite a difference in thread adjustment. I tested the cars tracking on "Trackrite" and it was only just out-still within tollerance.

The mechanic said that it may need stripping down and checking various parts.

Has anyone got any ideas? If I strip things down what should I be looking for in which parts?.

Many Thanks

Rob

Reply to
Rob Kirk

The message from "Rob Kirk" contains these words:

The first place to start is with the tyres. Mixed tyres can make a car almost undriveable - and sometimes has no apparent effect. Check first that both fronts and both backs are the same type and the same wear.

Reply to
Guy King

Once drove an Orion with similar ish symptoms - turned right much easier than left (or perhaps the other way round) and tended to lurch about a bit, felt like serious torque steer. Turned out to be knackered suspension arms / bushes.

Reply to
Doki

and also tyre pressures are correct!

Reply to
dave F

The message from "dave F" contains these words:

Blindingly obvious - and often overlooked!

Reply to
Guy King

Sounds to me like knackered strut-top 'bearings' and cups.

(ie. the big rubber bush, shaped a bit like a ball race and the cup it sits in - AlfaSuds and 33s suffer particularly badly with this)

Reply to
SteveH

Possibly a power steering fault?

I would visit a Vauxhall dealer and ask them for a free diagnosis and quote.

Reply to
Alan

Thanks a lot people. The mechanic did mention play in the top of the drivers side strut but he said it wasn't enough to cause the problems I am having. The tyres are the same type/tread and the correct pressure but I will swap front for back to eliminate. There is Vauxhall garage nearby so I may just take it there as suggested and ask them for a diagnosis.

Thanks Again, will keep you posted.

Reply to
Rob Kirk

I second that, I drive a corsa, for my sins, following repairs to some accident damage, it handled like a dog, took it back, they tested all sorts, and in the end put a new tyre on the undamaged side.

Problem fixed!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

In article , Rob Kirk writes

Check the universal joint at the bottom of the steering column they tend to go stiff and give this strange feeling to the steering. Mike

Reply to
Mike Jakob